Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

So, I have finally come to need a different VLAN for one of my virtual machines on our Hyper-V cluster, and I think I have my head around what I need to do.

 

At the moment, each Hyper-V server is connected via an untagged access port on the switch. All VMs on the cluster just use that connection to connect out, untagged.

 

I'm guessing that to do this all I need to do is add the VLAN i need to the port, tagged. So then I'd have the server VLAN untagged, and the extra VLAN tagged.

 

Then in the VM in question I'd just put in the VLAN tag?

 

Is that it? Seems too simple?

Posted

We have all our VMs with an ID set on them (none left as untagged), but yes tag the ports with both and then assign the IDs to whichever

 

Steve

Posted
We have all our VMs with an ID set on them (none left as untagged), but yes tag the ports with both and then assign the IDs to whichever

 

Steve

 

Why tag the ports with both? Surely the untagged ones should continue to use the "untagged" VLAN?

Posted

Well I guess you don't have to depending on how the rest is setup, but remember all default packets without tags will get pushed to the untagged one and strip the tags.

 

So for example, 1 = untagged, 10 (servers) = tagged, 20 (clients) = tagged, 100 (storage) = tagged for our HOSTs

 

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...