Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hiya guys,

 

Ive got a quick question, im looking into RIS or ghosting or some form of workstation imaging,

 

Now my question is, I dont have a Windows XP VLK, Can i just make an image of one PC and send out that image to lets say 20 of the same make/model, all our PCs are HP's, im just thinking that if it has an XP authenticity sticker on the base?

 

How do other schools go about imaging when they dont have a VLK?

 

Cheers, sorry if im being stupid!

 

Mart

Posted

> How do other schools go about imaging when they dont have a VLK?

 

I have a seperate copy of each workstation's image on our central backup server. I figure it must be possible to write some kind of binary diff-ing program to reduce storage requirements a bit, though.

 

--

David Hicks

Posted
Is their a good reason why you haven't got an xp VLK ? 'Cos I can't think of one. As a school or other educational org you should be part of a larger select agreement or at the very least qualify for open licensing from a microsoft partner. You should not be using OEM licences, it's not good practice IMO.
Posted

The advice I've received in the past is as long as the school can prove they hold sufficient licenses for the installed products, it doesn't matter what license key is actually used for the installation.

 

That was from a microsoft partner company.

 

Mike.

Posted
Not really. Ask your LEA if they have a purchasing arrangement with Microsoft or one of its partners. In Lancashire we can buy all software with VLK where applicable for the same price as OEM.
Posted

Erm.. just a couple of queries about OEM licences...

 

1) I thought you could only take an image of an OEM licenced XP for Backup purposes only - with the view to restore to the same PC?

 

2) Isn't WPA dependant on the Product ID as well as the License Key? (ie both must match?)

Posted
Erm.. just a couple of queries about OEM licences...

 

1) I thought you could only take an image of an OEM licenced XP for Backup purposes only - with the view to restore to the same PC?

 

2) Isn't WPA dependant on the Product ID as well as the License Key? (ie both must match?)

 

I can't answer those questions but I'd caution gainst imagin from an OEM because i'm sure there are issues like those you're asking about, also you have the additional issue of activation which doesn't exist with a volume license xp upgrade.

Posted
You could install your template computer then use sysprep to specify that the system must generate a new GUID and request the OEM key on the next boot. You then shut down the machine and image it. It should allow you to do what you are after.
Posted
Not really. Ask your LEA if they have a purchasing arrangement with Microsoft or one of its partners. In Lancashire we can buy all software with VLK where applicable for the same price as OEM.

 

All except windows, so while you may have a VLK, its really for Windows *upgrade*. Base machines will still need FPP or OEM windows licenses. Not that you need to use the keys.

 

I've always been of the opinion that if I have the correct number and type of licenses then I will always use a VLK.

 

It all gets a bit more complicated with Vista, but activation can take place after imageing - keep an eye out for SP3 for XP, activation changes so its like vista, activate after its been running for up to 30 days IIRC.

Posted

Thanks for the advice chaps,

 

I work for a private "fee paying" school, so we dont run under an LEAso we have to buy everything we want bascially! and as far as my boss is concerened then why should we pay for a VLK when they already work with a restore disk - Which i agree with but not good for quickness of machine prep on failure!

Posted

> Ask your LEA if they have a purchasing arrangement with Microsoft

> or one of its partners. In Lancashire we can buy all software with VLK

> where applicable for the same price as OEM.

 

Ah - private school, no LEA.

 

--

David Hicks

Posted
Not really. Ask your LEA if they have a purchasing arrangement with Microsoft or one of its partners. In Lancashire we can buy all software with VLK where applicable for the same price as OEM.

 

All except windows, so while you may have a VLK, its really for Windows *upgrade*. Base machines will still need FPP or OEM windows licenses. Not that you need to use the keys.

 

I've always been of the opinion that if I have the correct number and type of licenses then I will always use a VLK.

 

It all gets a bit more complicated with Vista, but activation can take place after imageing - keep an eye out for SP3 for XP, activation changes so its like vista, activate after its been running for up to 30 days IIRC.

 

Which isn't a problem as virtually all PC's shipped shipped since 2002 have XP OEM preinstalled. And OEM's still continue to ship models with XP and that is now extedned into the middle of next year.

 

Vista now requires connection to an internet server to validate/activate volume license Vista upgrades. With XP upgrade VLicenses Previously it was left up to your LEA to tell Microsoft which machines the software was to be installed on. So you'd fax the info to them and they'd no doubt fax it onto MS or keep it for their own records (whatever the process was). That's no longer the case with Vista, although I''m not clear on the specifics.

Posted
Not really. Ask your LEA if they have a purchasing arrangement with Microsoft or one of its partners. In Lancashire we can buy all software with VLK where applicable for the same price as OEM.

 

All except windows, so while you may have a VLK, its really for Windows *upgrade*. Base machines will still need FPP or OEM windows licenses. Not that you need to use the keys.

 

I've always been of the opinion that if I have the correct number and type of licenses then I will always use a VLK.

 

It all gets a bit more complicated with Vista, but activation can take place after imageing - keep an eye out for SP3 for XP, activation changes so its like vista, activate after its been running for up to 30 days IIRC.

 

Which isn't a problem as virtually all PC's shipped shipped since 2002 have XP OEM preinstalled. And OEM's still continue to ship models with XP and that is now extedned into the middle of next year.

 

Vista now requires connection to an internet server to validate/activate volume license Vista upgrades. With XP upgrade VLicenses Previously it was left up to your LEA to tell Microsoft which machines the software was to be installed on. So you'd fax the info to them and they'd no doubt fax it onto MS or keep it for their own records (whatever the process was). That's no longer the case with Vista, although I''m not clear on the specifics.

 

It's an issue if schools build their own PCs and then just ask for an XP license and get sold a vol one without knowing it's only an upgrade. Licensing was the first thing I tackled when I started :D

 

Vista Enterprise can use its own licensing server (if you have enough machines) or you can get a limited use key to activate with.

 

Ultimate can only be used with a vol license if you had xp pro with software assurance active when vista came out. This is also more complicated in that you have to ask ms for a set number of keys which is then verified. Each machine needs to be activated with a unique key.

Posted
Not really. Ask your LEA if they have a purchasing arrangement with Microsoft or one of its partners. In Lancashire we can buy all software with VLK where applicable for the same price as OEM.

 

All except windows, so while you may have a VLK, its really for Windows *upgrade*. Base machines will still need FPP or OEM windows licenses. Not that you need to use the keys.

 

I've always been of the opinion that if I have the correct number and type of licenses then I will always use a VLK.

 

It all gets a bit more complicated with Vista, but activation can take place after imageing - keep an eye out for SP3 for XP, activation changes so its like vista, activate after its been running for up to 30 days IIRC.

 

Which isn't a problem as virtually all PC's shipped shipped since 2002 have XP OEM preinstalled. And OEM's still continue to ship models with XP and that is now extedned into the middle of next year.

 

Vista now requires connection to an internet server to validate/activate volume license Vista upgrades. With XP upgrade VLicenses Previously it was left up to your LEA to tell Microsoft which machines the software was to be installed on. So you'd fax the info to them and they'd no doubt fax it onto MS or keep it for their own records (whatever the process was). That's no longer the case with Vista, although I''m not clear on the specifics.

 

It's an issue if schools build their own PCs and then just ask for an XP license and get sold a vol one without knowing it's only an upgrade. Licensing was the first thing I tackled when I started :D

 

Vista Enterprise can use its own licensing server (if you have enough machines) or you can get a limited use key to activate with.

 

Ultimate can only be used with a vol license if you had xp pro with software assurance active when vista came out. This is also more complicated in that you have to ask ms for a set number of keys which is then verified. Each machine needs to be activated with a unique key.

 

Why the hell would anyone want to build their own machines, i know i know it's about cost savings. But seriously i've got better things to do with my time than building PC's and on top of that have to provide all the hardware support.

 

I think Business and Enteprise are the only vista versions we'd be interested in, am i right in thinking Enterprise is only available with a SA agreement, and what are the options available for activating (or should i say not having to activate) Vista Business ?

Posted
Why the hell would anyone want to build their own machines, i know i know it's about cost savings. But seriously i've got better things to do with my time than building PC's and on top of that have to provide all the hardware support.

 

I think Business and Enteprise are the only vista versions we'd be interested in, am i right in thinking Enterprise is only available with a SA agreement, and what are the options available for activating (or should i say not having to activate) Vista Business ?

 

Enterprise is available under SA, and possibly just as a normal vol license but I've had SA so long I've not looked.

 

I have bought just 3 machines to build in the last 4 years, all the rest have been built to order or a top tier manufacturer. Self build is really a false economy and not a lot of fun.

 

Vista business and Enterprise use either a MAK key (this has a set number of activations and one gets used up each time you activate) or a KMS (Key managment server) to act as a sort of activation proxy.

 

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx has a few details.

Posted
Why the hell would anyone want to build their own machines, i know i know it's about cost savings. But seriously i've got better things to do with my time than building PC's and on top of that have to provide all the hardware support.

 

I think Business and Enteprise are the only vista versions we'd be interested in, am i right in thinking Enterprise is only available with a SA agreement, and what are the options available for activating (or should i say not having to activate) Vista Business ?

 

Enterprise is available under SA, and possibly just as a normal vol license but I've had SA so long I've not looked.

 

I have bought just 3 machines to build in the last 4 years, all the rest have been built to order or a top tier manufacturer. Self build is really a false economy and not a lot of fun.

 

Vista business and Enterprise use either a MAK key (this has a set number of activations and one gets used up each time you activate) or a KMS (Key managment server) to act as a sort of activation proxy.

 

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx has a few details.

 

thanks for the info, one last question....

 

Presumably you're software assurance licenses were availale through you're LA, did you specify you wanted SA or is that what they provided by default, also if you wanted SA specific features such as WinPE would you have to go back to your LEA to request this ?

Posted
Ah, slight mix up of abbreviations there. I mean SA = Schools Agreement. As its an annual agreement then we always have software assurance for everything (its included), I've not bought anything through the LA for a very long time, although I assume you can ask for software assurance on anything you buy. The Schools agreement also contains the assurance products (WinPE etc).
Posted
Why the hell would anyone want to build their own machines, i know i know it's about cost savings. But seriously i've got better things to do with my time than building PC's and on top of that have to provide all the hardware support.
At the risk of drifting OT, I doubt there is a cost saving, but for awkward bastard users (me) you can get just what you need in a box with a bit of DIY. Most of my time is spent audio & video encoding so I needed something quick with a fair bit of memory, that would support my outboard hardware with a (for the time) large 2nd hdd. It just wasn't available from the run of the mill supplier. So I cannibalised the Acer that had just gone Titsup; working box, that does what I need (even if it does run a bit hot.)

 

I know it can be difficult at times, but remember not all [marq=right]losers[/marq] are the same. They don't all need glorified typewriters, and the ability to book their 1/2 term hols on line!

 

PS sorry about the scrolly thing, I just wondered what the button did ( I was looking for a strike-through)!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...