Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All,

 

We've been asked to have a look at App Inventor and the emulator for it.

Before we get testing, has anyone got any experience with any potential or initial problems they encountered?

 

Thanks!

Posted
I have a solution that many schools are using:

AXE's MIT AppInventor V2 Package - Updated for v2.3 - Blogs - EduGeek.net

You might want to check it out for yourself. :)

 

I have downloaded and followed your instructions for your CC4 package for the App Inventor emulator. I have imported the package to the RMMC and assigned it out to a couple of machines but when I click on the Start Android Emulator button the emulator loads up but just gets stuck with the word Android and flashing line and goes no further, it doesn't load up the Android OS. It does this for for all user accounts.

 

Any help would be appreciated

Posted
I have downloaded and followed your instructions for your CC4 package for the App Inventor emulator. I have imported the package to the RMMC and assigned it out to a couple of machines but when I click on the Start Android Emulator button the emulator loads up but just gets stuck with the word Android and flashing line and goes no further, it doesn't load up the Android OS. It does this for for all user accounts.

 

Any help would be appreciated

 

OK, It's likely to be either no write access to the [program files\appinventor\working] folder, or a missing [Appinventor-emulator-data] file in the [updated] folder in the imported package.

Hope that helps. :)

Posted
OK, It's likely to be either no write access to the [program files\appinventor\working] folder, or a missing [Appinventor-emulator-data] file in the [updated] folder in the imported package.

Hope that helps. :)

 

Thanks, the OS is loading up now after remaking the package. However now I have another issue, but it might not be one you can fix. With a student user on the standard RM CC4 user policy the App Inventor website doesn't seem to recognise that the emulator is running, when you click to connect to the emulator it says please run the aistarter and try again, even though the emulator is already running. I have done some testing and have found that it is the policy that disables use of command prompt for standard student users. In you benefits section on the package download page you state that no command prompts are required, could I have done something wrong with the package or could it simply be that even though no command propt windows open the user still needs access to it?

Posted
Thanks, the OS is loading up now after remaking the package. However now I have another issue, but it might not be one you can fix. With a student user on the standard RM CC4 user policy the App Inventor website doesn't seem to recognise that the emulator is running, when you click to connect to the emulator it says please run the aistarter and try again, even though the emulator is already running. I have done some testing and have found that it is the policy that disables use of command prompt for standard student users. In you benefits section on the package download page you state that no command prompts are required, could I have done something wrong with the package or could it simply be that even though no command propt windows open the user still needs access to it?

 

Usually that's proxy or firewall config blocking access to 127.0.0.1. :)

Posted
Usually that's proxy or firewall config blocking access to 127.0.0.1. :)

 

Thanks for the quick reply, but I have added the proxy to the launcher application xml file and is working for all other users types but not students, and have tried with a test student account that does have access to command prompt and it works then.

Posted

Ok, you could check if [aistarter.exe] is running, it's the part which handles communication between the browser and the emulator.

When you connect to the emulator, the browser just checks the response from: http://127.0.0.1:8004/echeck/

You can see the response by opening that url in a browser.

Posted
Ok, you could check if [aistarter.exe] is running, it's the part which handles communication between the browser and the emulator.

When you connect to the emulator, the browser just checks the response from: http://127.0.0.1:8004/echeck/

You can see the response by opening that url in a browser.

 

When checking that web link, it shows device is ok, except for the standard students and a test student account that has got command prompt script proccessing enabled, which gets a message saying could not connect to the server, connection refused. It does however show device ok for another test student account that does have access to the command prompt enabled.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...