jamin100 Posted January 15, 2015 Posted January 15, 2015 Im looking to introduce Veeam to backup our Hyper-V installation. We currently use DPM which is a bit flaky at best. I have the following 3 x Hyper-V nodes in a failover cluster 2 processors and 64GB RAM in each node. putting it simply, I want to be able to backup all these VMs to a NAS and then also back them up periodically to a USB device to take off site. I intend to buy the following HP Gen 9 server, Xeon 8-core, 16GB RAM, 3x 300GB SAS drives, USB 3 15TB Synology NAS 2 x 5TB USB 3 Drives Veeam Essentials Now, I will need to have the offsite backups encrypted is this possible with Veeam? If it is, can I do it with the standard edition or do I need to use the Enterprise edition.. Can anyone see a flaw or have any better solutions to this?
PotNoodleTech Posted January 16, 2015 Posted January 16, 2015 Personally I think the best way to use veeam is to use the Veeam server as your initial backup staging server. By this, I mean fill the new Veeam server with drives and situate it in your server room, so that the initial backup goes over your core switch straight to the veeam server which means initial backups per night, are very very fast. Then situate your NAS box, in a separate building, you set up a backup copy job, to automatically copy the backups over from your VEEAM server in the server room, to your nas box, and you can set up some really nice easy grandfather, father, son regimes and specify exactly how many backups to keep, e.g. per day, per week, per fortnight, per 3 weeks, per month, per quarter, per year, etc. You can then also, set up another backup copy job, which manually, or periodically copies onto the USB3 drive, which can be stored elsewhere preferably in a safe? I'm out of date with the editions so for now won't comment on what is included. 1
jamin100 Posted January 16, 2015 Author Posted January 16, 2015 Thanks, that is very similar to what im planning to do. Im trying to do this as cheaply and effectively as possible. I already have a 10TB synology NAS. The plan was, Server and 15TB NAS in the server room for the main backups. Then replicate this (or parts) to the 10TB NAS in another location in the school Then periodically export to USB3 and take offsite From what I can see its cheaper to buy the server and NAS rather than filling the server with drives
PotNoodleTech Posted January 16, 2015 Posted January 16, 2015 From what I can see its cheaper to buy the server and NAS rather than filling the server with drives Yes. Performance will probably not be quite as good. What synology NAS is it?
jamin100 Posted January 16, 2015 Author Posted January 16, 2015 The 10TB we already have is the DS1512+ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS1512-DiskStation-10TB-Solution/dp/B007MCUYX2 The 15TB i'll buy is the DS1513+ (as it has USB3) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS1513-15TB-DiskStation-Desktop/dp/B00CV7U3AW/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1421412672&sr=1-2&keywords=DS1513%2B#productDetails The 15TB version will be the main backup location in the server room which i'll then replicate to the 10TB version in another part of the building
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now