jonathan.lees Posted November 30, 2007 Posted November 30, 2007 Got a trial eee PC for the school today, so far so good except for a sudo issue, Firefox and Open Office run smoothly and no problems connecting to our WPA protected wireless network. Everyone likes them and everyone wants one. So now I need to figure how I can configure them for student use. I thought I'd add a student user and disable sudo for that account but it seems it is not possible to add another user, there's no adduser command and nothing in the KDE control panel so I guess it does not support multiple users. For disabling sudo I removed the line User All=(All) NOPASSWD:ALL from /etc/sudoers but after reboot I only got a black screen and had to reinstall the OS so I guess the default and only user account needs sudo access for something loading during boot up. So is this the demise for the eee PC OS? Anyone else had any luck or ideas?
jonathan.lees Posted November 30, 2007 Author Posted November 30, 2007 Misco got them in stock yesterday, I got it in the post today.
FN-GM Posted November 30, 2007 Posted November 30, 2007 Is the trail free how could we get one please? Z
jonathan.lees Posted December 1, 2007 Author Posted December 1, 2007 no, it was not free to the school but free for me
CyberNerd Posted December 1, 2007 Posted December 1, 2007 I was playing with this today, its a massive security bug which opens the machine up to all sorts of exploits!.
localzuk Posted December 1, 2007 Posted December 1, 2007 I think it likely comes down to the intended purpose of the device. It is meant to be a 'here's your personal laptop, don't break it and you can do what you like with it' device I reckon. Any other use would mean having to install your own OS on it.
CyberNerd Posted December 1, 2007 Posted December 1, 2007 It's not going to be long before the kids find sudo rm -rf / command, or email each other script to do just that.
jonathan.lees Posted December 1, 2007 Author Posted December 1, 2007 I was considering buying some as a shared bookable resource for our LRC, I guess I'll be better off loading another distro on it.
alonebfg Posted December 1, 2007 Posted December 1, 2007 cant you access the comand line like on ubuntu and sudo passwd root set a password and then sudo is not able to be used except with password (diffrent from user)
CyberNerd Posted December 1, 2007 Posted December 1, 2007 seems some of the startup (/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager) for example refer to passwordless sudo ? seems a bit sloppy. I've copied the /opt/xandros directory to another machine (running icewm) and I can get all the same UI by running /opt/xandros/bin/AsusLauncher (edit the /opt/xandros/share/AsusLauncher/simpleui.rc to change icons/applications) So I reckon it would be fairly easy to get the same 'feel' working on another install.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now