fiza Posted November 3, 2014 Posted November 3, 2014 I want to allow a teacher to release jobs to her printers and her printers only. When students print I want the prints to go into a hold queue until the teacher approves the prints. I am already using my Release Station licence in the Library but from what I read I don't need a release station to do this. Problem is I cant figure out how to do it. Google only gives me results on Release Stations. I get mentions of teacher approved printing but nothing on how to do it. I only want the teacher to see jobs queued for the 2 printers in the room. Any ideas?
Edu-IT Posted November 3, 2014 Posted November 3, 2014 You could set the built in script called 'require approval code' to be enabled on that printer then the teacher would need to provide an approval code when kids printed? 1
fiza Posted November 3, 2014 Author Posted November 3, 2014 You could set the built in script called 'require approval code' to be enabled on that printer then the teacher would need to provide an approval code when kids printed? Would you set the code in the script? If so wouldn't take long for students to find out what the code was.
Edu-IT Posted November 3, 2014 Posted November 3, 2014 Yes, it is. You'll probably have to do a hold/release queue then although I don't think it's possible to control which printers they can actually release. You can however set it so they can only print student print jobs and not staff. I think this is the closest you'll get to what you want. Hold/Release Usage Scenarios Staff member would then just log on and go to http://papercut/release to view jobs pending release. They can easily filter the view to show only the print jobs for the printer they're interested in.
fiza Posted November 3, 2014 Author Posted November 3, 2014 I may have found a better way to do the code. Trawled through Edugeek and found this: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/coding/120638-papercut-scripts.html#post1074872 code changes every hour. May not take students long to work out the pattern but at least it changes all the time.
Edu-IT Posted November 3, 2014 Posted November 3, 2014 Yes, that was what I thought about, but couldn't find it.
fiza Posted November 3, 2014 Author Posted November 3, 2014 Yes, that was what I thought about, but couldn't find it. Just tried the script. It works but only gives a 3 digit code rather than 4 digits. IE for 4pm on 3rd Nov it should be "1603" but it gives me "163". It would be better to have 4 digits. @ukwebb who posted it states it should give 4 digits but I cant get it to do that. If I type 1603 as the code it gets rejected.
Edu-IT Posted November 3, 2014 Posted November 3, 2014 Is it the same everytime there's a 0 involved? For example, 1703? 1803?
MicrodigitUK Posted November 3, 2014 Posted November 3, 2014 (edited) Don't know if this helps but we use a random code system excep everything is linked back to department Accounts, that the teacher or cover for that department issues. These codes are random and helps link printing to a subject for charg back if you whant to. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/enterprise-software/134343-papercut.html Edited November 3, 2014 by MicrodigitUK
fiza Posted November 4, 2014 Author Posted November 4, 2014 Is it the same everytime there's a 0 involved? For example, 1703? 1803? Yes. This morning the code is 94 (for 9am and 4th Nov). So depending on time and date it could go from 2 digit code to a 4 digit code. Not ideal.
fiza Posted November 4, 2014 Author Posted November 4, 2014 (edited) Don't know if this helps but we use a random code system excep everything is linked back to department Accounts, that the teacher or cover for that department issues. These codes are random and helps link printing to a subject for charg back if you whant to. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/enterprise-software/134343-papercut.html @MicrodigitUK - I thanks for the link. I think it may be overkill for us as I only need this in one room at the moment. Quick question though. If you had staff shared accounts in there where you didn't want pin codes to change would this script just ignore those and just change the ones starting with STUDENT_ ? Edited November 4, 2014 by fiza
spadam Posted November 4, 2014 Posted November 4, 2014 (edited) You should be able to force a 4 digit code by tweaking the script a little: replace this line: var code=new String(inputs.job.date.getHours())+String(inputs.j ob.date.getDate()) ; with this: var hour = inputs.job.date.getHours(); var day = inputs.job.date.getDate(); hour = hour<10? '0' + hour: '' + hour; day = day<10? '0' + day: '' + day; var code = hour + day; Edited November 4, 2014 by spadam Sloppy coding 1
fiza Posted November 4, 2014 Author Posted November 4, 2014 You should be able to force a 4 digit code by tweaking the script a little: replace this line: var code=new String(inputs.job.date.getHours())+String(inputs.j ob.date.getDate()) ; with this: var hour = inputs.job.date.getHours(); var day = inputs.job.date.getDate(); hour = hour<10? '0' + hour: '' + hour; day = day<10? '0' + day: '' + day; var code=String(hour) + String(day); @spadam - superstar!!! Cheers - works a treat!
fiza Posted November 4, 2014 Author Posted November 4, 2014 @spadam - As you very kindly helped me earlier I was wondering if I could tap you again for some info? Now I need it so that the code only comes up for students and not staff. I have seen the "isinGroup" snippet which goes : // Test if a user is in group called 'students'. if (inputs.user.isInGroup("students")) { // Add your action code here actions.log.debug("The user is in 'students' group."); } Is it possible to change it so that it can check for membership of several groups? Our groups are split by year group so I need it to check for membership of year7, 8,9,10,11,12 or 13. If not a member of those years then don't ask for a code. Any help would be appreciated.
MicrodigitUK Posted November 4, 2014 Posted November 4, 2014 @MicrodigitUK - I thanks for the link. I think it may be overkill for us as I only need this in one room at the moment. Quick question though. If you had staff shared accounts in there where you didn't want pin codes to change would this script just ignore those and just change the ones starting with STUDENT_ ? Yes, exactly that. Our staff shard accounts start with STAFF and we don't change the pin codes for them.
spadam Posted November 5, 2014 Posted November 5, 2014 I think the easiest way to test for membership of several groups would be to list them all in the if condition such as: // Test if a user is in group called 'students'. if (inputs.user.isInGroup("year 1") || inputs.user.isInGroup("year 2") || inputs.user.isInGroup("year 3")) { // Add your action code here actions.log.debug("The user is in 'students' group."); } Just add as many groups as you need in this way separated with the OR operator || 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now