FN-GM Posted October 22, 2014 Posted October 22, 2014 Hiya, All our machines have TPM's and they are enabled and activated. By group policy how do I force the machines to encrypt please? I have been messing about and get this right. Cheers
sted Posted October 22, 2014 Posted October 22, 2014 i dont think you can force them to encrypt by gpo iirc you can just give them the settings for when they are. I suspect the answer is probably a powershell script 1
FN-GM Posted October 27, 2014 Author Posted October 27, 2014 Thanks, does anyone else have any input please?
koryo Posted October 27, 2014 Posted October 27, 2014 (edited) i dont think you can force them to encrypt by gpo iirc you can just give them the settings for when they are. I suspect the answer is probably a powershell script OK that's a surprise - I wasn't aware of this and thought bitlocker could be enabled through GPO alone. Have a read of the below - it's the Windows 7 Bitlocker deployment guide, and after a brief look it seems a WMI or CLI command is required. At least that's the impression I get taking a brief look at the getting ready for deployment section. BitLocker Drive Encryption Deployment Guide for Windows 7 Edited October 27, 2014 by koryo
sparkeh Posted October 27, 2014 Posted October 27, 2014 AFAIK you can only enforce Bitlocker settings via GPO, not actually kick off the encryption process.
sted Posted October 27, 2014 Posted October 27, 2014 AFAIK you can only enforce Bitlocker settings via GPO, not actually kick off the encryption process. you can force it on when imaging with mdt though iirc
FN-GM Posted October 27, 2014 Author Posted October 27, 2014 (edited) Do you have SCCM in place? Ben I do, I know it can be done as a part of the image process. But I need a solution for existing machines. What commands / scripts have people used to start the encryption. Edited October 27, 2014 by FN-GM
plexer Posted October 27, 2014 Posted October 27, 2014 Ok I know little of how SCCM operates are you not able to perform a task sequence on machines post imaging? Ben
FN-GM Posted October 27, 2014 Author Posted October 27, 2014 (edited) Ok I know little of how SCCM operates are you not able to perform a task sequence on machines post imaging? Ben But I need a solution for the existing machines. I don't want to go around imaging them all. The imaging side of things is already covered. Edited October 27, 2014 by FN-GM
plexer Posted October 27, 2014 Posted October 27, 2014 I never said re-image anything are you not able to allocate a standalone task sequence that just applies bitlocker and allocate it to those machines? Ben
cooka Posted October 28, 2014 Posted October 28, 2014 I don't think you can bitlocker using GP, but im pretty sure you can using SCCM
jamesb Posted October 28, 2014 Posted October 28, 2014 (edited) If you've got Win8 or later, looks like there's a fairly simple PowerShell one-liner to kick it off: Enable-BitLocker With the other commands (Get-BitLockerVolume) and a bit of handling in the script you should be able to put something together to kick it all off remotely. If you've not got Win8 then you probably want to look at Manage-BDE instead: Manage-bde Group policy will let you do most of the configuration, then one of the two commands above run remotely to actually kick off the encryption. Edited October 28, 2014 by jamesb
Arthur Posted October 28, 2014 Posted October 28, 2014 By group policy how do I force the machines to encrypt please? If the encryption must be done via Group Policy, you're going to have to install and setup MBAM. Otherwise you could use the BitLocker cmdlets included with Windows 8.1 (Enable-Bitlocker etc.). and run these via a Task Sequence as @plexer suggested or a script.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now