Arthur Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 (edited) Better endurance than Intel's consumer SSDs and the same 10 year warranty as the SanDisk Extreme Pro. Other than price, this looks like the perfect SSD. Reviews: AnandTech, Bit-Tech, Tech Report, Storage Review, The SSD Review, TechSpot, Tom's Hardware Edited July 1, 2014 by Arthur 2
zag Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 10 year warranty is pretty amazing, but I'll only be convinced when I've run 100's of them into the ground for a few years Until that happens I'll stick with the Intel. I really don't care about the transfer speed of an SSD, it means nothing to me in the real world.
zag Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 Just reading a few reviews of this an for those that are interested in the speed.... The 850 Pro is the fastest SATA SSD we've ever tested. Samsung's 850 Pro solid-state drive reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 8
mcrabb Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 All the reviews are saying that SATA 3 has become a bottleneck, I'd be curious to see if anyone on here has a PCI-e SSD and their experiences with it.
sonofsanta Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 Drive looks amazing. To the point of being entirely superfluous... SATA3 really is a massive bottleneck now. This isn't that much faster than the MX100 at half the price, because transfer speeds are capped at 550Mb/s and 520Mb/s for read/write respectively. Random IOPs are immense (100,000! Take that, hard drives capable of 300) but again: the MX100 is half the price. As $technician said, I'd rather have a 500GB MX100 than a 256GB 850 Pro in most situations - they're about the same price. This would be amazing on a proper PCI-E interface, but they're not mainstream/stable enough yet. When they are, though... V-NAND SSDs are going to get insane. Back to 40nm NAND without the expense is an incredible feat of engineering. It's always galled that the cheaper SSDs got, the slower they were and more prone to breaking. V-NAND looks to break that trade-off.
xenonive Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 I've got the ocz Revodrive 3 X2 PCI-e and had it about 3 years now . It's been faultless and still is silly quick benchmarked at 1200Mb/s. I've got also Samsung 840 pro in my machine and I would say I notice much different until I do video or photo editing . Having the raw files on the ocz and windows/scratch disk on the Samsung drive gives you much more throughput than just all on the same drive.
Arthur Posted July 5, 2014 Author Posted July 5, 2014 (edited) V-NAND SSDs are going to get insane. V-NAND + NVMe = awesome SSDs! I hope you don't have to buy the SM951 from Australia (or eBay) like you did with the XP941 (SM941). 10 year warranty is pretty amazing, but I'll only be convinced when I've run 100's of them into the ground for a few years You don't trust the world's largest manufacturer of SSDs who also has an almost faultless track record when it comes to reliability (there haven't been any major issues with the 470, 830, 840, 840 EVO or 840 Pro SSDs that I'm aware of). You sure are tough to please @zag! Edited July 5, 2014 by Arthur
zag Posted July 7, 2014 Posted July 7, 2014 You don't trust the world's largest manufacturer of SSDs who also has an almost faultless track record when it comes to reliability (there haven't been any major issues with the 470, 830, 840, 840 EVO or 840 Pro SSDs that I'm aware of). You sure are tough to please @zag! Yep very tough. Its simply not acceptable for any SSD to fail. The technology is solid and reliable if the manufacturer buys the correct equipment and builds it properly. Samsung has yet to be proven, but I guess we will see in the future.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now