Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

We recently upgraded to WDS on one of our domain controllers, which also is the same DC that our thin clients get the bootfile from. WDS and thinstation all appear to be running together fine, but whenever a thinstation boots an error is reported in the DCs event viewer:

 

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	BINLSVC
Event Category:	BINLSVC 
Event ID:	522
Date:		07/11/2007
Time:		08:33:24
User:		N/A
Computer:	THEODEN
Description:
An error occurred in the Active Directory Connection Manager while querying a Global Catalog server. Verify that a Global Catalog server is available on the  network. 

Error Information: 0x2AF9

 

 

The Global Catalog server is setup just fine. I think that it is something to do with thinstation looking for the binlsvc service when it boots, but this service no longer exists.

 

Anybody have any clues about this? It doesn't seem to actually be affecting anything, but I'd certainly like to get rid of the errors from my event viewer if possible.

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted

OK, I'm going to try and move the thinstation files to another server to try and get rid of this problem.

 

How do I go about doing this?

Posted

You would need to move the TFTP server (assuming you aren't using the MS one) and also change the options in DHCP to point to the new location.

 

I too had this problem, however it luckily coincided with the last of my thinstation clients being replaced by HP terminals.

  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Kind of sorted, kind of not.

 

I did as Ric suggested and setup a TFTP server on a different machine and pointed the stations to that using the DHCP options 66 & 67. My thinclients now boot up no problem.

 

My new related problem is that I'm not entirely sure that I'm going to be able to boot to WDS for rebuilding my fat clients.

 

All of my workstations on the entire network are in the same DHCP scope and we have no vlans setup to separate them, so I can't set separate options for fat vs thin clients.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...