ozydave Posted October 26, 2007 Posted October 26, 2007 Any have any experience of creating an image of the C drive on a RAID 5 server? I’m thinking of using Norton Ghost, will this do the job? I have read lost of posts about ghosting PC across the network and the like, but I’m happy with how we do it, we use an RIS image . I just want a quick way to get our Domain controller back if C Drive becomes corrupt. Any thoughts
Dos_Box Posted October 26, 2007 Posted October 26, 2007 Have a second domain controller? There really ins't a safe way to image a Dc due to the way active directory works. You could image it, but your domain would most likely break once restored. A second DC is always the recommeded way to go.
Quackers Posted October 26, 2007 Posted October 26, 2007 Could be wrong but if you ran ripprep on the server to image it, would it not rip all the data like machine name, install key etc out and when you rebooted and come up with the mini setup?
djones Posted October 26, 2007 Posted October 26, 2007 Ghosting a raid 1 server works fine (I've used ghost 2003 for this purpose) but not sure about raid 5 - never tried. You MUST test the restore though as as Dos_Box says, AD is a funny beast. A second DC is the recommeded method.
djones Posted October 26, 2007 Posted October 26, 2007 Could be wrong but if you ran ripprep on the server to image it, would it not rip all the data like machine name, install key etc out and when you rebooted and come up with the mini setup? You wouldn't need to RIPPREP it first - just image it.
dan400007 Posted October 26, 2007 Posted October 26, 2007 I looked into this at one point and the message I got from Symantec was that you can't ghost a RAID 5 volume. Second DC is always nice to have, especially when you look at the price of new server these days.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now