somouk Posted October 15, 2007 Posted October 15, 2007 Hi Guys, sorry to have a first post advertising something. Heres the job advert, applications as per the job.. http://www2.walsall.gov.uk/jobshop/JobDetails.asp?JobRef=TV439 Thanks Mart
torledo Posted October 15, 2007 Posted October 15, 2007 Hi Guys, sorry to have a first post advertising something. Heres the job advert, applications as per the job.. http://www2.walsall.gov.uk/jobshop/JobDetails.asp?JobRef=TV439 Thanks Mart Nice school, great location....crap job. Notice how they sneaked in "....and genereal responsibility for the curriculum network" or words to that effect - knowing full well that no-one but a capita consultant can spend 30+ hours a week supporting SIMS.
localzuk Posted October 15, 2007 Posted October 15, 2007 I'd be more inclined to see it as the role for whoever sets up marksheets etc... And the extra responsibilities are added just in case they are needed during the day?
somouk Posted October 15, 2007 Author Posted October 15, 2007 Bear in mind that I wrote the JD on this and you are right. No one in their right mind could spend entire weeks just working on SIMS. The extra bits on the curriculum network are basic admin jobs that IMO everyone on the IT team should help out with. Such as resetting passwords, accounts and setting up PC's as and when. Its not too bad a role really and the money should reflect that we are after someone with good experience of the education sector and SIMS. I'm just hoping we get more than the 1 application so far 8O Regards Mart
tech_guy Posted October 15, 2007 Posted October 15, 2007 Does the post come with sedatives to deaden the pain of having to work with Sims all day?
torledo Posted October 15, 2007 Posted October 15, 2007 Bear in mind that I wrote the JD on this and you are right. No one in their right mind could spend entire weeks just working on SIMS. The extra bits on the curriculum network are basic admin jobs that IMO everyone on the IT team should help out with. Such as resetting passwords, accounts and setting up PC's as and when. Its not too bad a role really and the money should reflect that we are after someone with good experience of the education sector and SIMS. I'm just hoping we get more than the 1 application so far 8O Regards Mart I think the money is perfectly reasonable - very good in fact. But it sounds like you're effectively advertising for a DBA-focused member of an IT systems team - rather than an out and out DBA guru. Although I'm sure there must be some SIMS gurus out there who are fed up with having to do the other tasks in IT admin and would prefer to focus on SIMS support. Alternatively it sounds like a great job for an outstanding Computer science graduate - they all will have covered RDBMS theory and used Oracle or MySQL in their projects/assignments and it wouldn't take them long to get up to speed with SIMS - so long as you pony up for some training.
somouk Posted October 15, 2007 Author Posted October 15, 2007 Bear in mind that I wrote the JD on this and you are right. No one in their right mind could spend entire weeks just working on SIMS. The extra bits on the curriculum network are basic admin jobs that IMO everyone on the IT team should help out with. Such as resetting passwords, accounts and setting up PC's as and when. Its not too bad a role really and the money should reflect that we are after someone with good experience of the education sector and SIMS. I'm just hoping we get more than the 1 application so far 8O Regards Mart I think the money is perfectly reasonable - very good in fact. But it sounds like you're effectively advertising for a DBA-focused member of an IT systems team - rather than an out and out DBA guru. Although I'm sure there must be some SIMS gurus out there who are fed up with having to do the other tasks in IT admin and would prefer to focus on SIMS support. Alternatively it sounds like a great job for an outstanding Computer science graduate - they all will have covered RDBMS theory and used Oracle or MySQL in their projects/assignments and it wouldn't take them long to get up to speed with SIMS - so long as you pony up for some training. An interesting take on it. I never thought of it that way... Training is negotiable, I know there won't be many SIMS admins about so someone with a good general knowledge of education and IT who can show an aptitiude to learning quickly could do well.. Regards Mart
ChrisJ Posted October 15, 2007 Posted October 15, 2007 Certainly looks interesting. No answer on the phones so I've emailed my interest.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now