mwbutler Posted February 13, 2014 Posted February 13, 2014 Hi I am been asked to get embedded WMV files to work in Google Chrome and the Google Support pages suggest using this extension to fix the problem - Interoperability Bridges and Labs Center. I've tried the extension and it does fix our problem but my next issue is how do I deploy an extension site-wide that isn't in the Chrome Web Store? I've had Chrome GPOs setup and working for a while now and whilst I can get extensions that are in the Chrome Web Store to install for all users, I cannot figure out how to deploy extensions that are stored locally on our Servers. I've created this directory: P:\ChromeExtensions In that location are: - ChromeWMV.crx - manifest.json { "manifest_version": 1.0, "name": "Windows Media Player HTML5 Extension for Chrome", "version": "1.0", "update_url": "file:///P:/ChromeExtensions/updates.xml", } - updates.xml In the Google GPOs I have enabled this setting: - Configure the list of force-installed extensions hokdglbhghcebcopdbanieangmcamaak;file:///P:/ChromeExtensions/ Done a gpupdate /force on the Server and a PC, restarted it and it doesn't work. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? Or know of an easier solution? Converting the WMV files and editing 100s of html pages is a last resort solution. Cheers Matt
Arthur Posted February 13, 2014 Posted February 13, 2014 (edited) I cannot figure out how to deploy extensions that are stored locally on our servers. It's not possible. Extensions can only be installed through the Chrome Web Store. Google will block local extensions in Chrome 33 for Windows, disable existing ones not in the Chrome Web Store « The Next Web Google today announced it will block local Chrome extensions on Windows as of version 33. As a result, Windows users will only be able to use extensions for the company’s browser that they install from the Chrome Web Store. Protecting Windows users from malicious extensions « The Chromium Blog Edited February 13, 2014 by Arthur 1
mwbutler Posted February 14, 2014 Author Posted February 14, 2014 Thanks for the info Arthur. The only solution I can find is that the VLC Media Player Web Plugin supports WMV playback. The only down side is that we will need to get every student to allow the plugin to run before it'll work. Does anyone else have any solutions that do not require user interaction or converting 100s of wmv files and then editing 100s of html pages? Cheers Matt
Arthur Posted February 14, 2014 Posted February 14, 2014 The only downside is that we will need to get every student to allow the plugin to run before it'll work. You can enable plugins and force them to run automatically via the Chrome Group Policy templates. 1
mwbutler Posted February 24, 2014 Author Posted February 24, 2014 Ah I didn't know that existed. I enabled the policy "Specifiy a list of enabled plugins" and then added "VLC Web Plugin" to the list of enabled plugins and it's working! Thanks a lot. Matt
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now