lill Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 Hi, Im in a school that has a number of win95 machines that used to be used with a ranger network ( which has long since gone). Is there anyway of removing the ranger client from the machines as at present they will not allow any access to the desktop unless the user logs on to a domain that no longer exists. Short of wiping the lot and reinstalling, which I dont really want to do as they are TINY machines and drivers could be an issue, im at a loss. Thanks.
plexer Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 Have a look in the run section of the registry or startup programs group? Ben
lill Posted October 3, 2007 Author Posted October 3, 2007 cant get on to the machines to see the registry. They will not allow you to start in safemode or bypass domain authentication. Ive tried removing the network cards and they then complain that they cant find a ranger server and wont allow access.
alan-d Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 If you log in as 'rangerremove' then the password it will remove it all. Similarly to install Ranger log in as rangerinstall. Make sure you get it off all clients before removing it from the server.
plexer Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 Boot the things with a floppy disk or cd and then go looking in the directory structure for the ranger folder and delete it. Ben
alan-d Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 hi, there is no server thats the problem, ....................and that's what happens when you reply to threads in a rush In that case - the easiest way we found was to wipe them and reimage them. You could use a password cracker from a floppy and sit at every PC and hack the registry though
lill Posted October 3, 2007 Author Posted October 3, 2007 Boot the things with a floppy disk or cd and then go looking in the directory structure for the ranger folder and delete it. Ben tried that it wrecked the machine
lill Posted October 3, 2007 Author Posted October 3, 2007 In that case - the easiest way we found was to wipe them and reimage them. >>>> would be but then its a case of finding the drivers they are TINY machines so its not that easy You could use a password cracker from a floppy and sit at every PC and hack the registry though would be a lot quicker than finding the drivers I would have thought. I can get on the machines in dos from a CD, from there im lost how do I get into the registry from there, does regedit work in dos?
plexer Posted October 3, 2007 Posted October 3, 2007 Would you like someone to pop round and do it for you? Ben
lill Posted October 3, 2007 Author Posted October 3, 2007 no thats ok, I just want to have a list of all the options Ive tried to get his doorstops on the network before I tell the client what I suggest he does with them.
FN-GM Posted October 8, 2007 Posted October 8, 2007 Windows 95, they must be old machines can you not use this as an opportunity to replace these with new machines?
Jon Posted October 9, 2007 Posted October 9, 2007 >>>> would be but then its a case of finding the drivers they are TINY machines so its not that easy quote] It has been my experience with the old tinys that the hardware is on the whole intel and driver location is not so much of a problem.
lill Posted October 9, 2007 Author Posted October 9, 2007 Windows 95, they must be old machines can you not use this as an opportunity to replace these with new machines? Im a visiting tech so its not my call, last week I was greeted by a suggestion in the log book that we install Ubuntu on them... I told him he could put what ever he liked on them so long as he was happy installing and supporting them himself
FN-GM Posted October 9, 2007 Posted October 9, 2007 I think he is right, if you want a modern OS on a old machine Linux is the way forward. If you put samba on the Linux client you can add them to the domain then without much hassle.
lill Posted October 9, 2007 Author Posted October 9, 2007 It has been my experience with the old tinys that the hardware is on the whole intel and driver location is not so much of a problem. I actually think i may have found a solution now, I seem to remember one of the special needs machines is still up and running. Ive found a nifty little tool over the weekend that interrogates the drive, finds the drivers then backs them up for you, so I can try that, and if that fails I can ghost that machine and try to clean it up and make an image.
lill Posted October 9, 2007 Author Posted October 9, 2007 I think he is right, if you want a modern OS on a old machine Linux is the way forward. If you put samba on the Linux client you can add them to the domain then without much hassle. like i said, he can put whatever he likes on them so long as he doesn't expect me to touch them.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now