Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Installing VMware on SUSE 10.2


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

I am newish to Linux i am getting into it and it is a very good OS and has allot more to offer than Microsoft Windows has. As you may all agree they both have there advantages and there disadvantages.

 

So what i am trying to do is getting VMware player to work on OpenSUSE Linux 10.2 (KDE) so i can get into Windows inside Linux, but i have a problem.

 

I have downloaded VMware player and saved it to the local machine. The package is .RPM format. I right clicked the package> actions > Install with YaST. It asks me for the root password what i put in. The it stalls the package copying files etc. I can't seem to find the application on the menus so i did i search still can't find it. so i went into software management via YaST control panel. I can see the application there but it has a little padlock next to it. I then right clicked it will let me keep, delete & protect. (Update is grayed out).

What am i doing wrong please?

 

Your help is appreciated and thanks in advanced.

Posted

try it on the command line

su
rpm -Uhv /path/to/VMWare--player.rpm 

and see what error messages you get

 

also you might want VMWare-server, not player unless you already have a windows image.

 

also Ubuntu has vmware-server repository so

 sudo apt-get install vmware-server 

once the repo is added. you may find ubuntu easier (no yast though)

Posted

Ok i tried that code i get the following error message

 

error: open of /path/to/VMWare--player.rpm failed: No such file or directory

 

Yes i have a Windows Image installed and ready to go here.

 

Thanks

Posted
Quote::

error: open of /path/to/VMWare--player.rpm failed: No such file or directory

 

I meant type int he path to the vmwareplayer! - you need to put in the path to the .rpm file (not what I typed) it's probably something like /home/FN-Greatermanchester/Desktop/VMWare-player.rpm

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...