Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi, I hope this is the most appropriate forum to post this, apologies if not

We have deployed V4.0.0.0 of GMetrix via Group Policy

I am trying to set up an upgrade install to remove V4.0.0.0 and then install V4.0.3.0 However, the upgrade GPO I have created is being ignored on my test computer, I have ensured the policy has replicated across all of our DCs but when I type GP Update /Force it tells me that both user and computer policy have been updated OK as if no MSI operation at start up need to be applied and restarting changes nothing

I'm thinking that it's most likely because, in the 'Software Installation' settings in Group Policy, the package name (GMetrix SMS 4) and the version number (4.0) are exactly the same for V4.0.0.0 and V4.0.3.0

Does this seem likely? I searched but could not find any instances of people having similar issues or instructions saying that version numbers, as they appear in Group Policy need to be different

Could I simply edit the version numbers with Orca or something similar?

Thanks

Posted

If you run the MSI manually you get a message that says

"Another version of the product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue..." etc. etc. says uninstall manually

And putting an MSI over the top fails for the same reason

Posted

Presumably then you're removing the deployed application via Active Directory, seeing as you deployed it this way?

 

In theory you could include all this as part of one GPO, putting it in the correct order of course!

Posted
You mean using the 'Remove - Immediately uninstall' option? That ones always odd to use because the package just disappears from the GPO interface with nothing to tell you that the GPO is forcing that MSI to uninstall but it IS something to try - I've started testing now
Posted
Yes removing the old package with 'Uninstall Immediately' and adding the new one to the same policy seems to be working - thanks for that!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...