SimonWindisch Posted October 14, 2013 Posted October 14, 2013 Anyone out there going for the "free" pilot at EspressoCoding - Computing Made Simple - Choose a unit It's a coding environment for primary school children, probably aimed at infants. I've had a look and it looks fatally flawed in that the code and program are on two different screens. I think Scratch is better designed, and is really free, but for ages 4-7 this might be useful. I wondered what thoughts you all had.
MaxW Posted November 5, 2013 Posted November 5, 2013 The reason the program layout and program code are on different tabs is to make sure it all fits properly on older screen sizes and can be used on iPads. I have considered making both of these tabs visible if pupils are working on a larger screen - what do you think? We've had lots of schools using the program with pupils from Y1 to upper KS2. I spent a lot of time teaching with all primary year groups when developing the program, and wanted to keep it simple so all teachers could use it confidently. It does however have a lot of power too - have a look at how this unit for Y6 teaches pupils how to handle touch events and create apps EspressoCoding - Computing Made Simple - Activity v1.0.9.9.11 which respond proportionately to multi-directional swipes! I'd be interested to hear how other forum members are getting on with it - we are always happy to hear constructive feedback and ideas! Thanks!
SimonWindisch Posted November 5, 2013 Author Posted November 5, 2013 Thanks for listening! Yes, let's see both sides on the same screen. You'll be competing with this in a few months time. Our primary school cannot be alone in having a very tight budget. Thanks - Simon
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now