Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Anybody that can help me with this question will already be aware of the limitations of IE and the HTML5 canvas (essentially - it doesn't exist)

 

The chart plotting library I'm using (Flot) relies on the Canvas element to draw. It comes bundled with ExCanvas for IE support, but I found this to be unacceptably slow when it comes to interactivity (simply enabling highlighting on hover slows it to a snail's pace).

 

FlashCanvas is much more responsive but unfortunately the free version allows no customisation over the context menu, which includes a "Save as image" option that relies on a PHP script. My site is ASP.NET and I have no desire to try running PHP alongside it just for the sake of a single script. As I have zero budget, FlashCanvas Pro is off the cards.

 

So my question is, is anybody aware of any other libraries that will provide Canvas support in IE?

Posted
HTML5 Canvas is supported in IE9 and above. Unfortunately IE8 accounts for the largest proportion of internet traffic still. If it wasn't a commercial website I'd just make it a requirement that the users use a modern browser, or have reduced functionality/poorer UX. There is no better alternative for ExCanvas and FlashCanvas (depending on your needs), that I know of.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...