Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Did you find this helpful?  

  1. 1. Did you find this helpful?

    • Yes
      0
    • No
      0


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

I just bought a new Acer laptop and it keeps switching itself off not long after I boot it up. I am running it off the AC adaptor and the battery is fully charged up.

 

I booted the laptop up and waited for it to run me through the XP config wizard that you get with a fresh install.

 

Then I sat through 10 minutes of the Acer management wizard installing all the Acer apps and drivers for LAN, bluetooth etc.

 

Once that was set up, I wanted to set up a wireless connection, but the laptop switched itself off. It wasn't anything like going into hibernation or shutting down properly. Instead, it just turns off completely and I have to press the power button for it to boot up.

 

It keeps switching off after 1 or 2 minutes after booting up into the windows desktop. I have not installed anything on it.

 

The furthest I got was to finish installing Norton (through it's wizard) and upon scanning for updates, it switched off again!!!

 

I have read there have been lots of problems with Acers (although, I admit, not knowing these problems before I bought it). Does anyone else have the same problem as me?

 

If so, what did you do to solve the problem? I heard sending the laptop back to Acer is not worth my time as their support is crap.

 

Any help with this please?

 

I also want to add, there are no beeps or sounds when it turns off. I also suspect that it might be overheating as Acer's tend to get quite hot. If so, how do I deal with the overheating problem?

Posted

I would send it back mate, I deal a lot with Acer and there support i have to admit isn't great but if you have warranty then send it back.

 

I cant fault them when sending things back, when I have to send things back they come back fixed.

 

It could be a loose connection on the laptop, thats why it is cutting out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...