Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi,

 

I'm very new to *nix, I've been using for 4 hours!

 

This is what I've found:

 

Using "tail /var/log/cron" show this:

 

"Aug 2 11:22:01 asterisk1 crond[17727]: (root) CMD ( chown root /tmp/pwned; chmod 4755 /tmp/pwned; rm -f /etc/cron.d/core)"

 

In /etc/cron.d there is a file called core.29811

 

I think they person is using this exploit

 

Am I right?

 

How can I find the IP address of the person doing this?

 

Regards

Tom

Posted

I have no idea, it's an asterisk@home system. Sorry I can't give any more info but this is the first time I've used *nix!

 

In the logs located in /var/log/httpd there are alot of entries like these:

 

"193.109.122.29 - - [04/Jul/2007:02:28:56 +0100] "CONNECT 85.116.31.6:25396 HTTP/1.0" 405 315 "-" "pxyscand/2.1""

 

 

"89.171.148.82 - - [01/Jul/2007:09:49:06 +0100] "POST /_vti_bin/_vti_aut/fp30reg.dll HTTP/1.1" 404 333 "-" "-"

89.171.148.82 - - [01/Jul/2007:09:49:16 +0100] "SEARCH /\x90\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x04H\x0"

Posted

Without seeing your entire log it'd be difficult to work out which line is the root cause of the problem but unless I misunderstood your system setup it's unlikely that the fp30reg.dll is the problem as that's a frontpage exploit (not generally an issue on a *nix box).

 

I took a quick look at the asterisk@home page and it seems you have a VOIP setup but as far as I can see you're using an old version of the software and should probably look at Tribox.

 

Once you've upgraded I'd then take some time to install a brute force detection system as well as looking at mod_security.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...