Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey all

 

Just replaced the disc in my nices laptop as it failed

 

Looking the product key on the bottom there is no key. Just longs a numbers.

 

This is a acer laptop. Its an home access laptop which was brought from comet.

 

Any ideas on what to do now..

 

Do I speak to Microsoft or try and get hold of home access....

 

Help!!!

Posted

All good that. The old disk failed. I cant get nothing off there. I will see if I can find the acer recovery cds for it

 

But it cames with all the crap which I dont want on itm

Posted

Your OEM install has a number of files within the OS that use a generic OEM key.

The generic product key will be found easily enough on the web, but the install has to come from the OEM DVD or recovery media.

Your probably better off to buy a copy of the OS from somewhere like Ebuyer to rebuild with this will ensure activation.

 

This article explains the processes used by OEM versions and the activation How SLP and SLICWorks - Guy Techie - Rants from a tech addict.

 

Windows 8 takes this a step further as now there is no COA needed, each manufacturer has a chip and BIOS option instead to the point that the OS version permitted appears in the BIOS screen.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...