Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Clear temp & iPhone stuff (Limit roaming profile size)


Recommended Posts

Posted

Thought I'd share this one as I'm on a very expensive net connection from my business centre unit and a review of costs indicated I was using a ton of bandwidth unnecessarily thanks to DFS replication between home and unit servers and the way I was updating a few things.

 

First the script:

@ECHO off
DEL /F /S /Q %TEMP%

DEL /F /S /Q "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\*.ipsw"
DEL /F /S /Q "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\*.ipsw.signature"
RMDIR /S /Q "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup"
MKDIR "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup"

This script was set as a logoff script for all domain users via GP.

 

Now a few things you need to know about my setup and what I've changed.

  1. I no longer do any iTunes backups of my iPhone or iOS updates using my Unit workstation
  2. If I do, it's via a local machine account, not a domain account (with roaming profile)
  3. The code above will wipe any backups and updates from a domain account

 

A few other things I changed (other than wiping the temp folder of rubbish at logoff) is to change the download location for any web browsers to a local disk rather than the default {profile}/download folder. This in itself saves a lot of unnecessary dross being replicated.

 

At a guess it's going to drop my overall net usage considerably but I'll update again if/when I discover any other tweaks that might help...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...