Bobcat Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 On Monday, I've got to give a talk about our new business, to forthcoming apprentices who are staying for 6 weeks. I've managed to scratch together enough matrerial just to last me until 10.30, but try as I might, I just cannot think of anything else to say! This new adventure of ours is to buy and sell furnature through fleabay, and the programme has been split into 3 days. Myself on day 1, kat, who's going to talk about listing the products, and Joe, who's in charge of stock movement. I know this isn't really anything to do with the education sector, but has anyone in the past had to give one of these talks, and can give me any pointers?? Graham
Miscbrah Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 Hmmm - what specifically is your talk on? As in, what ground to you yourself have to cover?
Bobcat Posted March 15, 2013 Author Posted March 15, 2013 The talk will be about the IT dept in General and how it works in our company. We really rely on ebay for our sales, and we use eBay to generate sales. I thought a I'd start with talking about our company in general, when it was formed, how long it's been going on etc and then a talk about the history of the Internet, followed by a fact finding survey, on who knows what about word, excel, email and the sorts. We then move on to how to create a effective title.. I've already created a fair use policy that's been passed by the other directors in the company, and I'll go through that during the end of the talk, but I need an effective way of filling the gaps, or I'll end up with anarchy, and a lot of of thumb twiddling! Graham
featured_spectre Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 Get them to do sample generic tasks you would need them to do to assess their thought processes. Get them to observe each other, take notes, each take a turn, constructive criticism from each at the end, followed by your own.
Miscbrah Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 Can you sidetrack into a history of Windows/DOS? That's always fun - at least for a nerd like me. Can also do a history of Apple OSes and Linux alongside, and make it funny by being BLATANTLY biased one way or the other. There's that video of Ted Stevens telling us all that the internet is tubes: Series of Tubes - YouTube (silly from about 2 min but it's ALL kinda silly.) And this one telling us about how the internet will look, from 1969. Oddly clairvoyant: The Internet in 1969 - YouTube Same can be done for history of PCs, networking, printers and such. Another aside on integrating ALL SORTS of devices into a modern network like phones, i%device%, laptops and getting them all 'talking'. But yes, all that is just 'filler'.
Bobcat Posted March 15, 2013 Author Posted March 15, 2013 Get them to do sample generic tasks you would need them to do to assess their thought processes. Get them to observe each other, take notes, each take a turn, constructive criticism from each at the end, followed by your own. Good idea, any idea's what tasks i should get them to do? Graham
featured_spectre Posted March 15, 2013 Posted March 15, 2013 Picking/packing stock, sample upload onto ebay...the choice is yours
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now