BJG Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 These constant Java updates are a plague. What's the best way to keep it automatically silently updated? Is there even any point in keeping it updated?
elsiegee40 Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 I was talking to someone yesterday who's uninstalled Java across the site and so far, apart from one person, nobody has shouted. So it's only gone back on one machine.
cromertech Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 They are usually security fixes. It is a pain that they need to release them quite so frequently. I have turned off auto update by removing the registry entries and I only install a newer version when I reimage. Some companies are offering a patch management software that will handle this sort of thing and I have just enabled it on our sophos install. Haven't had time to test yet however but the theory is it monitors for the updates and silently installs them when it encounters one.
Sheridan Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 Yes - Ive spent the last few days removing the nasty bug ridden mess of Java, and only had to install an older (V6) onto 2 PCs so far - thats the way its going to stay!
free780 Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 Get msi. Uninstall old version via gpo. Install new version via gpo. Then do the same next week. Shame there isn't a sccm catalog.
Geoff Posted March 14, 2013 Posted March 14, 2013 Removed Java site wide, only the minecraft players noticed.
Sheridan Posted March 19, 2013 Posted March 19, 2013 Yep - after full removal of java we'd had one complaint, which we solved by installing and old 1.6 version of java (the last stable version!) Now if only I can remove flash and the other buggy rubbish that is forced on us!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now