secman Posted November 28, 2005 Author Posted November 28, 2005 Gentlemen, Thanks again for the help and information. I have used the "psgetsid" tool suggested and indeed found that machines of the same type built from the same image do have identical SIDs. I now have to sort out applying unique SID codes and looking at the way we use GHOST to try to solve the problem although we may have to use "newsid" as a short term solution. I am also working through the DNS suggestions. I just wish I had had some training at some point.....!
Ric_ Posted November 28, 2005 Posted November 28, 2005 @secman: If you are using ghost, you can use Ghostwalker on the machines following the build. Option 2 is to use sysprep - this is also explained in the Ghost documentation somewhere.
MkII Posted November 28, 2005 Posted November 28, 2005 Sysprep > ghost Is the 'correct' [according to MS] way to do it.
secman Posted November 28, 2005 Author Posted November 28, 2005 Mmmmmm... I have looked at the readme with NEWSID and found the following..... "Duplicate SIDs aren't an issue in a Domain-based environment since domain accounts have SID's based on the Domain SID." This sort of goes against what some have been saying. Has anyone found anything else that contradicts this? I am thinking about using NEWSID in a script to sort out the duplicate SIDs but, I am now wondering if I can wait until the next build. Looking into GHOST/SYSPREP/GHOSTWALKER etc. aswell. Again we appreciate everyone's input and help.
Dos_Box Posted November 28, 2005 Posted November 28, 2005 Some answers via here... http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.html?forumID=49&threadID=138547 In short, SIDS are important and should be unique.
Dos_Box Posted November 28, 2005 Posted November 28, 2005 Very important: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314828 'Microsoft policy statement Microsoft does not provide support for computers on which Windows XP is installed by duplication of fully installed copies of Windows XP. Microsoft does support computers on which Windows XP is installed by use of disk-duplication software and the System Preparation tool (Sysprep.exe). '
secman Posted November 28, 2005 Author Posted November 28, 2005 Thanks Dos_Box. I think I will believe Mr Gates' lads. (and your good selves!) I will get on with sorting out the unique SIDs and the way we image. Thanks again all. Lets hope all this solves our original problem of inconsitant log in times.
ajbritton Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 Did you know that defragmenting doesn't actually affect the physical location of files on the disk? Just the logical placement in the filing system.? Not sure I fully believe that for PCs without RAID/SAN (in fact, the more I look at it, I'm sure they are just talking about RAID/SAN). If that IS so, then how come it takes a lot lot longer to defrag a disk with large files than with small files? Also, why does the disk appear to 'thrash'. I know it's off-topic, but I would be interested to know if anyone else has information about this. I use Virtual PC for testing/repackaging and do a full defrag every night to keep the virtual disk files contiguous. Am I wasting my machines time (or at least wearing out the HDD)?
Geoff Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 If your using single disks the data is physically moved. If your using disk images the data is physically moved around the image file. If your using software raid the data is physically moved. If your using hardware raid it depends on the raid controller. It might have a defrag routine built in which it uses on the fly. It might not. If your using a SAN of some description then it depends on the implementation. Similar situation to hardware raid.
MkII Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 Mmmmmm... I have looked at the readme with NEWSID and found the following..... "Duplicate SIDs aren't an issue in a Domain-based environment since domain accounts have SID's based on the Domain SID." This sort of goes against what some have been saying. Has anyone found anything else that contradicts this? I am thinking about using NEWSID in a script to sort out the duplicate SIDs but, I am now wondering if I can wait until the next build. Looking into GHOST/SYSPREP/GHOSTWALKER etc. aswell. Again we appreciate everyone's input and help. NEWSID takes a long time to run, dunno if that's be a bit problematic as a logon script/ depending on how quickly you need to access the PC after boot. That statement on sysinternals is unclear I think - there's a but... Ghostwalker does the same as sysprep potentially [although it can also re-name PC's and join them to the domain], so the steps are either: sysprep > ghost ghost > ghostwalker ghost > newsid
Ric_ Posted November 29, 2005 Posted November 29, 2005 you could write a file to your hard disk in the script and then check if it exists to see if the SID needs to be changed.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now