Guest salan Posted February 26, 2013 Posted February 26, 2013 We have an 'admin intranet' page. This runs on an ubuntu server locally. On this page are links to various files on other servers (windows). Now this web page has evolved from a frontpage local effort many years old. So for example we have a linnk that points to: file:///r:/Bulletin/Bulletin%20for%20staff/weekly%20Bulletin.doc The r drive is available to everyone. The trouble is that this only works with IE (and not everyones versions), and does not work in Firefox or chrome. I know basic html and php, but I am a database person not a web programmer. so How can I make a link to said file that will work with any browser? An example bit of code would be great. Thanks Alan
LosOjos Posted February 26, 2013 Posted February 26, 2013 In Firefox, local links are blocked by the browser itself, the same may apply in Chrome. This article might help: Links to local pages do not work - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Guest salan Posted February 26, 2013 Posted February 26, 2013 Could this be why it does not work in some IE's? Alan
LosOjos Posted February 26, 2013 Posted February 26, 2013 Could this be why it does not work in some IE's? Alan Possibly - is it newer versions of IE that don't work? Also, does everyone have the same AV? It's quite a major vulnerability when you think about it, so it's good if it has been cleared up in IE but not very helpful for you right now! I believe the way to work around it is to use a secure connection (i.e. https) and use fully qualified names, e.g. "\\server1\share\file.doc" although I have to admit I wouldn't know how to make the connection secure, presumably it's just a setting somewhere on the Ubuntu server...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now