mrwobbly Posted February 10, 2013 Posted February 10, 2013 A head has told me that laser printers produce carcinogens and printers must be sited x feet away from users. Doing a Google search I found the Australians produced a report that said the emissions may be carcinogenic but a later German study found they were no more of a hazard than a toaster. Is anyone aware of a mandatory or advisory distance to site printers from users?
elsiegee40 Posted February 10, 2013 Posted February 10, 2013 Ooh! That's a new one on me. Makes a change from wifi panic. If there were recommendations,I'm sure we'd have heard of them by now. 1
SYNACK Posted February 10, 2013 Posted February 10, 2013 Ohh, this again, it was big a while ago, before WiFi was big. The concerns were microscopic particles of tonner in the air and ozone production from the fuser. I believe the solution was having those plants that process air well near them to fend off the evil technology deamons and get the villagers to put down their pitchforks. TBH the noise pollution from them is probably more damaging to users anyway.
hit Posted February 10, 2013 Posted February 10, 2013 We have been advised to use disposable gloves when handling toner since about 2000 due to its properties (used to contain pyrole or something), but seeing as my printer is current at head height about 2 foot away I guess I'm screwed anyway!
MatthewL Posted February 10, 2013 Posted February 10, 2013 Don't worry about it, older printers used to be bad for it but with all the modern stuff its not really the case anymore. 1
SYNACK Posted February 10, 2013 Posted February 10, 2013 We have been advised to use disposable gloves when handling toner since about 2000 due to its properties (used to contain pyrole or something), but seeing as my printer is current at head height about 2 foot away I guess I'm screwed anyway! You'll be fine, just block your ears and don't breath while your near it... I'm sure you'll be fine 2
plexer Posted February 10, 2013 Posted February 10, 2013 Found this document: http://www.docs.csg.ed.ac.uk/Safety/general/photocopiers.pdf Ben 1
mrwobbly Posted February 10, 2013 Author Posted February 10, 2013 I was surprised as I’d never heard of it. I’ve seen untold photocopier and printer engineers come in and work on machines and take no precautions. Thanks for the replies.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now