mjs_mjs Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 I'm trying to run ubuntu 8.04 desktop under Virtual box, and its having an issue. After the kernal is loaded i get a blank screen, see attached. Am i doing something wrong? I have tried turning ACPI off (as per http://www.edugeek.net/forums/nix/16671-ubuntu-virtualbox.html) and also using other images, such as Xubuntu 8.04 and Edubunu 7.04. Nothing works. I get a kernal panic when running Edubuntu, see attached. XP boxes run fine on it. Physical hardware is a NC10. You can see my settings in the first screenprint. cheers
powdarrmonkey Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 See if you can reproduce this with ACPI and IO APIC enabled.
mjs_mjs Posted October 19, 2009 Author Posted October 19, 2009 See if you can reproduce this with ACPI and IO APIC enabled. I get exatly the same.
powdarrmonkey Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 Smells of a kernel bug - have you tried Ubuntu 9.04?
mjs_mjs Posted October 19, 2009 Author Posted October 19, 2009 Not yet - i will at work tomorro. I have the image somewhere on my desktop.
AngryTechnician Posted October 20, 2009 Posted October 20, 2009 I have no problems at all with 9.04 under VirtualBox, and I don't recall having issues back when I was running 8.04 either. One thing I noticed from your screenshots... your VirtualBox UI looks different. No least that yours says "InnoTek VirtualBox", whereas mine says "Sun VirtualBox" (Sun bought VirtualBox a while back). Are you using the Open Source Edition, and that one is branded differently? Or are you using an older version? I'm currently running 3.0.8.
mjs_mjs Posted October 20, 2009 Author Posted October 20, 2009 I have no problems at all with 9.04 under VirtualBox, and I don't recall having issues back when I was running 8.04 either. One thing I noticed from your screenshots... your VirtualBox UI looks different. No least that yours says "InnoTek VirtualBox", whereas mine says "Sun VirtualBox" (Sun bought VirtualBox a while back). Are you using the Open Source Edition, and that one is branded differently? Or are you using an older version? I'm currently running 3.0.8. There's a new version of Virtual Box. It's available from Sun; I know there's quite a delay before it appears in the repository. The change log lists a few bug fixes. Maybe this will help. It came out on 6/10/09. Version 3.0.8 is the latest. Linux_Downloads - VirtualBox . Cheers guys, i've moved to the latest version. Didn't realise it had been brought out by Sun. What an obovious thing to do... sorry for wasting your time(s).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now