+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, User Activity Logging in Technical; Hi, Currently our network still uses Winsuite. I have finally persuaded everyone that Winsuite is not needed and is, in ...
    Thank Post

User Activity Logging

Hi,

Currently our network still uses Winsuite. I have finally persuaded everyone that Winsuite is not needed and is, in fact, counter-productive (they have had it for a long time). I am planning to set up a new domain (if/when I can scrape together money for a new server) and then rebuild all computers over the summer to fully remove Winsuite from the network.

However, the last stumbling block is User Activity Logging. Winsuite logs the activity of all users.

It records logging on and off (for which I could use a pair of scripts), but it also records application use, filenames accessed, etc. (mostly, I think, by monitoring new Windows and if the Window's title changes). SMT are not really prepared to lose this extra logging information.

So I am now having to look for a replacement and I would like people's recommendations (positive and negative).

You all work in schools so you know it goes without saying, but free if possible, otherwise cheap as possible (we are a Catholic school so we have even less budget than most).

Thanks.
    Last edited by SteveLaw; 29th March 2010 at 10:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Impero will do all this, as well as allow you to lock screens so the students pay attention to you and not the computer (teachers love this) or simply switch the web off on a per-group basis.

Also allows remote control of computers, and teachers can view the screens of students in their group to see who's on task. Can freeze the screen of someone playing games and then saunter up behind them to ask them about their score.

Also allows web filtering by keyword, reports typed profanity and other violations by students in red so teachers can keep an eye on the class.

Not freeware but I'd recommend it.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, although that's a bit overkill as we already have NetSupport (an old version admittedly, but those teachers who would use those features are more than happy with NetSupport). The Internet block might be handy (we have our own program we wrote to do this which I wouldn't mind replacing as I no longer have the source code).

I will have a look though for sure.

EDIT: I had a look, there are no prices (not usually a good sign).
    Last edited by SteveLaw; 31st March 2010 at 02:20 PM.

Thank Post
    If you're any good with VB scripting (or anything that can interact with windows registry), then most of this stuff is stored within windows.

Recent activity is localed within the "User Assist", see ROT13 is used in Windows? You?re joking! Didier Stevens and then Quickpost: Windows 7 Beta: ROT13 Replaced With Vigenère? Great Joke! Didier Stevens dor windows 7.

If you dig further into the User Assist stuff it will give data on when the files were last opened, and how they were opened (IE using the Start>run, clicking on icon on desktop, etc).

The user logon is recorded on the Domain controller, although if you have more than one (which you should), it will record this "randomly" across them.

5. 2 Thanks to User3204:

powdarrmonkey (1st April 2010), SteveLaw (1st April 2010)

Thank Post
    Now that is very interesting. It doesn't seem to show everything, but it is interesting all the same.
    Last edited by SteveLaw; 1st April 2010 at 11:03 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread