+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, No Logon name after addding users by DSADD in Technical; I have just addded 120 users by DSADD. I have come to check the properties of a couple of users ...
    Thank Post

No Logon name after addding users by DSADD

I have just addded 120 users by DSADD. I have come to check the properties of a couple of users and the User Logon Name box is no populated but the Pre Windows 2000 one is?

Any ideas as to why? i have raised the domain functional level to 2003

Thank Post

Re: No Logon name after addding users by DSADD

Mine's about 50/50, shouldn't affect anything.

Thank Post
    DOes anyone know why this is?

Thank Post
    Did you import from a csv, i'd just assume that you didn't have the correct fields set. I think you need to set the UPN details, as stated above it won't affect anything unless you have multiple domains and even then i'm not certain it would cause issues.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Last edited by cookie_monster; 12th July 2008 at 01:25 PM.

Thank Post
    You need to specify a UPN and a SAM name. I have just successfully added a load of new users to our domain using Activeman.exe (Mikey Magic's Web Site - Active User Manager for Windows 2000 & 2003 Active Directory (AD)). I have a precompiled excel spread sheet where all i do is input surname, firstname, drive letter, logon script, home drive, etc. This then sorts out the username to firstname.surname and puts all the information into another sheet. You then save the second sheet as a CSV, and use activemon.exe to import all the users. ***NOTE: The only thing to do is go through all users and change alter the home drive location, as i specify "\\server\share\%username" so you have to go through all users and stick a % on the end on that string and it puts the right username in with the correct sercurity settings.

If anyone wants it, let me know (PM Me) and ill send it across with instructions. The only thing it doesnt like, is long names like double barrell names.

But i found it really useful and added the users in within 5 mins. The longest part was adding data to the excel file.

Thank Post
    thanks for sharing info

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    You need to specify a UPN and a SAM name. I have just successfully added a load of new users to our domain using Activeman.exe (Mikey Magic's Web Site - Active User Manager for Windows 2000 & 2003 Active Directory (AD)). I have a precompiled excel spread sheet where all i do is input surname, firstname, drive letter, logon script, home drive, etc. This then sorts out the username to firstname.surname and puts all the information into another sheet. You then save the second sheet as a CSV, and use activemon.exe to import all the users. ***NOTE: The only thing to do is go through all users and change alter the home drive location, as i specify "\\server\share\%username" so you have to go through all users and stick a % on the end on that string and it puts the right username in with the correct sercurity settings.

If anyone wants it, let me know (PM Me) and ill send it across with instructions. The only thing it doesnt like, is long names like double barrell names.

But i found it really useful and added the users in within 5 mins. The longest part was adding data to the excel file.
    can you please let me know on how to create a new local user on windows server 2003.
    I tried the below command to create the user.

dsadd user CN=gpgTemp,CN=Users,DC=GPGGroup,DC=R1SGTRNMSTR -samid gpgTemp -pwd Current123

I used " " for CN,DC and -samid also.
    but I repeatedly got an error message as :

dsadd failed:The specified domain either doesnot exist or could not be contacted.
    Type dsadd /? for help.

I didn't understand what should be added for DC. how do I find the existing domains on my server? I dont have any domains is what I feel. I tried to create user without having aby DC. but still that failed.

Please let me know what should be done.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post

can you please let me know on how to create a new local user on windows server 2003.
    I tried the below command to create the user.

dsadd user CN=gpgTemp,CN=Users,DC=GPGGroup,DC=R1SGTRNMSTR -samid gpgTemp -pwd Current123

I used " " for CN,DC and -samid also.
    but I repeatedly got an error message as :

dsadd failed:The specified domain either doesnot exist or could not be contacted.
    Type dsadd /? for help.

I didn't understand what should be added for DC. how do I find the existing domains on my server? I dont have any domains is what I feel. I tried to create user without having aby DC. but still that failed.

Please let me know what should be done.

Thank Post
    Do you have an active directory that you can access?

Also, in your command you have got dsadd user CN=gpgTemp,CN=Users,DC=GPGGroup,DC=R1SGTRNMSTR -samid gpgTemp -pwd Current123 the problem i can see is the CN=Users. Change this to OU=Users.

The DC part is works like this... say you have a domain called test.local with a Users Organisational unit called users. You would have it laid out like this... OU=Users,DC=test,DC=local

EDIT: This might help you too

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...79(WS.10).aspx
    Last edited by timbo343; 23rd May 2011 at 09:38 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread