+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 8 Thread, Gartner review says Windows 8 “bad” for desktop users in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Gartner review says Windows 8 “bad” for desktop users

Gartner review says Windows 8 ?bad? for desktop users ? The Register
    Windows 8 Review – Part 1: A business decision

In a nutshell, Gartner have said what the rest of the IT world has been saying, that is W8 is OK on touch screen devices but rubbish on the desktop.

2. Thanks to unixman_again from:

shenley (23rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    No surprise there then. They seem to be concentrating on the consumer market and forgetting about the business side of things.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Who paid Gartner for this research? Google? Apple? Given that enterprises will most likely be using Windows 7 until at least 2018 who cares what they think? Large businesses are never early adopters of anything.

When is Gartner actually right?

Why does the IT industry continue to listen to Gartner?

Last edited by Arthur; 23rd July 2012 at 06:15 PM.

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

bossman (23rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Arthur are you a Windows 8 evangelist or something as you seem very passionate about fighting its corner!

The Desktop experience is all over the place, showed up again today when I opened up an SD card in desktop My Computer view but the default open action is in the Metro app... cue annoying Alt Tab moments to open each photo as it didn't pick up the other images as the classic Photo Viewer would

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Time will tell on the number of Windows 8 sales, but Microsoft keep hush about how many devices get downgraded. This happened a lot at first with newly purchased Windows 7 notebooks downgraded to Windows XP, but now as time goes on more companies and schools are rolling out Windows 7.

I still think the 'wait for SP1' rule will always apply (even with Windows 8), but to be fair, Windows 7 SP1 is a very good OS. It is without a doubt Windows XP's real successor (and not Vista). I think also Microsoft need to accept that even with subscription type licensing, entitling companies and schools to use the latest software - it doesn't actually mean you have to or need to.

Is there really going to be major improvements between Office 2010 and Office 2013? No probably not, so I suspect a lot of organisations will skip it until Office 2016 or 2017. From my testing, I think Windows 8 will really challenge the iPad, but I have to agree, I don't think it'll be a big hit on the desktop or notebook.

Whatever the outcome, Microsoft can fine tune this with Windows 9 whenever that gets released. I am sure valuable lessons will be learnt

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    are you a Windows 8 evangelist or something as you seem very passionate about fighting its corner!
    Not at all. Sure, there might be a few annoyances but you get these with every operating system. You either find workarounds or you adapt to the changes over time. C'est la vie!

Other than the Metro UI and ribbon in File Explorer, it's essentially the same OS as Windows 7. There is certainly a lot to like in Windows 8 and the staff I have shown it to at school have all reacted positively to it so far.

At home I generally upgrade to new operating systems on release (or shortly after) since there is always something I like or need. This applies equally to Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android etc. This week I am looking forward to Mountain Lion and will almost certainly buy it on day one. When Google releases Jelly Bean's successor, I will be installing it on my Nexus 7 too.

The computers at school are slightly different since there are more of them and upgrades need to be planned, but it is inevitable that we will have Windows 8 PCs or tablets at some point in the not too distant future so we might as well get used to it sooner rather than later in order to be better prepared. Metro isn't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    The Desktop experience is all over the place, showed up again today when I opened up an SD card in desktop My Computer view but the default open action is in the Metro app... cue annoying Alt Tab moments to open each photo as it didn't pick up the other images as the classic Photo Viewer would
    Why don't you simply change the default image viewer to Windows Photo Viewer in the Control Panel? It took me less than 15 seconds and you only need to do it once.

Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    Gartner have said what the rest of the IT world has been saying
    By the rest, you mean some?

Windows 8: a benchmark for music production applications « The Cakewalk Blog
    Windows Server 2012: IT Pros Will Need WS-MAN Remoting Skills (And Not Just for PowerShell) « Redmond Mag
    Why the Start Menu's Absence is Irrelevant « TechSpot
    Why Windows RT will be good for the enterprise! (it's about more than tablets) « Brian Madden

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Not at all. Sure, there might be a few annoyances but you get these with every operating system. You either find workarounds or you adapt to the changes over time. C'est la vie!

Other than the Metro UI and ribbon in File Explorer, it's essentially the same OS as Windows 7. There is certainly a lot to like in Windows 8 and the staff I have shown it to at school have all reacted positively to it so far.

At home I generally upgrade to new operating systems on release (or shortly after) since there is always something I like or need. This applies equally to Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android etc. This week I am looking forward to Mountain Lion and will almost certainly buy it on day one. When Google releases Jelly Bean's successor, I will be installing it on my Nexus 7 too.

The computers at school are slightly different since there are more of them and upgrades need to be planned, but it is inevitable that we will have Windows 8 PCs or tablets at some point in the not too distant future so we might as well get used to it sooner rather than later in order to be better prepared. Metro isn't going anywhere.

Why don't you simply change the default image viewer to Windows Photo Viewer in the Control Panel? It took me less than 15 seconds and you only need to do it once.

By the rest, you mean some?

Windows 8: a benchmark for music production applications « The Cakewalk Blog
    Windows Server 2012: IT Pros Will Need WS-MAN Remoting Skills (And Not Just for PowerShell) « Redmond Mag
    Why the Start Menu's Absence is Irrelevant « TechSpot
    Why Windows RT will be good for the enterprise! (it's about more than tablets) « Brian Madden
    to be fair, some of those articles you've linked to, sound like they may have the same fortune telling credentials as the gartner table re mobile device share from 2009.

to me, schools in particular, will buy almost anything in bulk if it's pitched at the right price and appears as if it's attempting to solve a particular problem or fill a hole somewhere in IT provision, doesn't mean said technology necessarily solve's that particular problem astoundingly well, just that if it's a technology solution, if it's priced correctly, if there can be some educational or productivity benefits then they'll be bought. There won't be any shortage of devices being offered for sale with the latest version of windows 'embedded' - and i can't personally see a huge leap in innovation coming from apple given where they are today with the 'new' iPad. I suspect the iPad is in the same phase the iPod touch was where new generations were non earth shattering bumping up of hardware spec revisions for a few years. There's not the same panic that Windows 8 will get left behind in a struggle to catch up, it might struggle in being the bottom up success that the iPad has been forcing education and enterprise to adapt due to end user adoption. With microsoft you get the feeling it'll be the other way round, reliant on a top down introduction from IT decision makers to a scepticle end user base who are quite taken with their iPhones and iPads. Ironically though, the decisions makers probably aren't too fussed about Window 8 on the desktop, i imagine there will be a lot of downgrading to windows 7 for those who haven't yet rolled out win7. I can't see senior leadership turning round and demanding IT upgrades all office and teacher pc's to this weird tile thing that wouldn't have been so bad if there'd worked out the unintuitive aspects as far as use on a desktop pc. Especially there won't be the rush to upgrade once they realise that behind the tiles, the look and feel is windows 7 with pastels.

Thank Post

Valve boss Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a 'catastrophe'

Thank Post
    The same story from The Register Gabe Newell: Windows 8 is a 'catastrophe' for PC biz
    I whole-heartedly agree with the 2nd readers comment for this article.

Thank Post
    Gabe is just annoyed that MS are going to eat into his Steam PC gaming monopoly.

Most of the bitching so far with Windows8 is about the Start Menu, how many other GUI interactions can be done when using the Windows7 Start Menu?

I think many are moaning about the change to user experience when in reality it doesn't actually make a great deal of difference. Personally I think a well setup Windows8 will be excellent on the desktop, whether it sells well is another matter, but there you go I said it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget MS posted a loss for the first time ever.

Microsoft posts first-ever quarterly loss ? The Register

So MS will be under pressure from shareholders to perform and make a profit again. I wouldn't like to be working there atm!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I wouldn't like to be working there atm!
    Looking at how they treat their employees I wouldn't want to be working there ever
    Microsoft’s Downfall: Inside the Executive E-mails and Cannibalistic Culture That Felled a Tech Giant

Thank Post
    I thought most of the bitching about Windows 8 was the enforcement of UEFI. My own two gripes are the interface clearly aimed at finger swipers rather than keyboard users, and the extreme slowness. It's very resource hungry, even more so than Windows 7. I'm dreading it. My work box used to run XP and it was up from cold to being useable in 2:50; by useable I mean all the hourglasses have stopped (all services and programs in the auto start, have kicked off). Since the enforced upgrade to W7, I'm looking at 5:15 from cold, before it's useable. I guess I'm going to have to get the security people to switch it on for me when W8 comes along, otherwise I'll be waiting forever for the box to boot from cold.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    I thought most of the bitching about Windows 8 was the enforcement of UEFI. My own two gripes are the interface clearly aimed at finger swipers rather than keyboard users, and the extreme slowness. It's very resource hungry, even more so than Windows 7. I'm dreading it. My work box used to run XP and it was up from cold to being useable in 2:50; by useable I mean all the hourglasses have stopped (all services and programs in the auto start, have kicked off). Since the enforced upgrade to W7, I'm looking at 5:15 from cold, before it's useable. I guess I'm going to have to get the security people to switch it on for me when W8 comes along, otherwise I'll be waiting forever for the box to boot from cold.
    Weird, I found it way faster on lower power hardware than 7.

I think they are wineing about UEFI, the microsoft marketplace being the only 'app store' for certain products and the MS sainted hardware for tablets stepping on other manufacturers.

For certain bits of 8 though I can see their point, if they keep down this route they are effectivly leaving the PC market and entering the appliance market like Apple. Maybe next year will be the 'year of the linux desktop'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    if they keep down this route they are effectivly leaving the PC market and entering the appliance market like Apple. Maybe next year will be the 'year of the linux desktop'.
    If only by default as no one else makes an OS for PCs anymore :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast