+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Moodle 2.0 & sharepoint 2010 in Technical; Does anyone know of a solution whereby documents stored in a file repository on SP2010 can be "sent" or "shared" ...

Thank Post

Moodle 2.0 & sharepoint 2010

Does anyone know of a solution whereby documents stored in a file repository on SP2010 can be "sent" or "shared" to moodle. We keep all our business support files centrally but some documents such as policies & procedures are intended for several audiences. Rather than duplicate this information is it possible to share it to moodle?

Robbie

Thank Post
    You could perhaps use the guides, written for Moodle 1.9, and see if there is anything relevant that can be taken over to Moodle 2.0. Written by Alex Pearce and links to all 4 available on Moodle News: @Alex_Pearce on the benefits of Moodle + #Sharepoint document library*|*Moodle News

Thank Post
    You should have a look at this
    Integrating SharePoint and Moodle: But Why?! | Alex Pearce: SharePoint

Thanks for the shout of danIT

The problem in Moodle 2 is that it changes the file name when you upload a file but it also removes the file extension and sharepoint will block any file with a blank file extension

I've been away the last week and getting married over the weekend so will be away again for a few weeks so if i dont reply send me a PM or email me at apearce at bfcnetworks dot com
    Last edited by apearce; 26th April 2011 at 09:14 PM.

4. 2 Thanks to apearce:

kmount (26th April 2011), TheScarfedOne (13th January 2013)

Thank Post
    I've been away the last week and getting married over the weekend so will be away again for a few weeks so if i dont reply send me a PM or email me at apearce at bfcetnworks dot com
    Congratulations Alex, have a great break.

(for anyone trying to email him, fix up the spelling of his domain to be 'networks' )

6. Thanks to kmount from:

GrumbleDook (26th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks - i;ve editting the orginial post

Thank Post
    On a similar but subtly different note I'm really hoping someone can write some "glue" code to link a Sharepoint file store to the Moodle repository API.

Now I've got my Office 365 Beta up and running I can see the My Site and personal document storage features as being pretty handy but what I want is for a student to be able to do their work in Office 365 then when it's ready submit into a Moodle assignment without having to save it to a local PC and re-upload (remember what decade we're in, this process shouldn't need to happen!)

As it stands I don't think there's a way to do it but hopefully someone will be able to cook some code together. What was also interesting was that Office 365 accounts don't appear to be LiveIDs any more (not sure if someone can confirm or if it was just my test account being awkward) so that might make life a bit easier in terms of matching the Moodle LDAP authentication to Office 365 (ADFS etc)

Microsoft may not want to do any more coding for Moodle (that's how I understand their current view on the plugin etc) but they need to think of the bigger picture. End of the day people want systems that talk to each other and integrate... if they can't get that from Office 365 they'll go to Google. I know if a few Live@edu customers already swaying towards GApps for this exact reason. That's surely a bigger loss (what with the whole idea of these "free" productivity suites being given away to basically indoctrinate students into going either the MS or Google way once they go out to work) than setting an enthusiastic programmer or two loose for a few days to cook up the integration code?
    Last edited by gshaw; 27th April 2011 at 12:15 PM.

Thank Post
    gshaw - this is something I am working on at the moment :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apearce View Post
    If you need someone to test it out let me know as I have Moodle 2.0 dev server looking for a purpose in life

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apearce View Post
    sounds great

Thank Post
    Hi Alex et al.

Is one way of linking Moodle 2.x and SharePoint 2010 to use WebDAV as follows?

1. Follow the first part (Step 1) of the Microsoft Education Labs white paper to set up a document library (or libraries) with a WebDAV interface.

2. Use the new Repository API in Moodle 2.x to add the SharePoint document library as a Site-wide (or Course-wide? or User private?) WebDAV repository instance.

Since you can configure Moodle 2.x to link to a file in a WebDAV repository (rather than the default of copy a file from the repository into Moodle). Would this allow for version control in SharePoint?

i.e. would the WebDAV URL remain the same for an updated file in SharePoint?

Cheers

Geoff

Thank Post
    Geoffr,
    Thanks for the reply, Next month I'll be releasing the SharePoint File Picker for Moodle 2.0 which I hope you will find useful. I will try this and let you know. You'll be able to get hold of the tool from the BFC Networks shop when released. I'll make sure I post back here when its available.
    Alex

14. Thanks to apearce from:

gshaw (23rd August 2011)

Thank Post
    Now that sounds good!

Thank Post
    Hi Alex

Sounds great (if it is not tooooo expensive!) and just-about in time for the new academic year. We have Moodle 2.1.1 and 2.2 alpha development servers, if you want anything piloted. From the Moodle forums, there seems to be considerable interest in Moodle 2.x-SharePoint integration.

After a little tinkering, we already have the file-picker working rather well (for both linking and copying files) with Alfresco. Will also see how far we can get with the file-picker-WebDAV-SharePoint interface. As we have SharePoint as our 'in house' repository, we would prefer to use that rather than another system.

Cheers

Thank Post
    I'm in a tricky situation at the moment where we have a remote hosted Moodle and an internally hosted Sharepoint which is proving difficult to get talking to each other correctly.

I'm up for setting up a test Moodle server internally and doing some piloting of the system if it would help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    I'm in a tricky situation at the moment where we have a remote hosted Moodle and an internally hosted Sharepoint which is proving difficult to get talking to each other correctly.

I'm up for setting up a test Moodle server internally and doing some piloting of the system if it would help.
    Based on the tool, as long as you can install your own modules in Moodle 2.0 you will be able to use this with your internet SharePoint.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast