+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM CC3 network? in Technical; I am an ICT teacher going for a job at a school where the network is an RM CC3 network. ...
    Thank Post

RM CC3 network?

I am an ICT teacher going for a job at a school where the network is an RM CC3 network. As I have successfully managed to avoid working at an RM school so far in my career I have no prior experience of this type of network. RM itself have next to no information on it on their site and all I can glean from Google is that it is a style of network which is implemented where there isnt a dedicated network technician.

Would appreciate any assistance on this!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    CC3 is a middleware layer. Its designed as an interface to easily manage users, software, printers and computers. It also has a printer credit framework built into it and integrates remote desktop control in the form of RM Tutor.

Unless you're managing the network, you will see very little differences in day to day usage. The most obvious and visible differences to the user are the modified GINA and the logoff button in the bottom right corner of the desktop. It's still Windows and from an end user perspective is pretty much identical.

There's obviously more to it than that but I think I've more or less summarised it.

3. Thanks to Norphy from:

shutdownplease (3rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    CC3 is no longer being sold by RM, I believe, hence why you cannot find information about it.

http://www.edu.dudley.gov.uk/ict/sof...ages/rmex3.gif

Pretty much what you'll see in CC3. Very much like the usual XP.

5. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

shutdownplease (3rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    Norphy - fantastic - thank you very much

I wont be managing it directly but the position may involve oversight of network operations

Will be interesting to see what it is actually like in practice

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    CC3 is no longer being sold by RM, I believe, hence why you cannot find information about it.

http://www.edu.dudley.gov.uk/ict/sof...ages/rmex3.gif

Pretty much what you'll see in CC3. Very much like the usual XP.
    I have noted the existence of a CC4 network. Clearly this school may have room to 'upgrade'

many thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shutdownplease View Post
    I have noted the existence of a CC4 network. Clearly this school may have room to 'upgrade'

many thanks!
    There may well be reasons why they've stuck to CC3. Some people might come along and say CC4 is not an upgrade but those sorts of discussions won't be helpful for this thread.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    There may well be reasons why they've stuck to CC3. Some people might come along and say CC4 is not an upgrade but those sorts of discussions won't be helpful for this thread.
    It may very well be helpful as these are issues which may pop up in the interview

I sense though a slight bit of controversy on this topic !

Thank Post
    Do a search for 'RM' on here and you'll have enough bedtime reading. It's a love, hate thing with people on here. Like Marmite. Some love it, some hate it, some just troll for the sake of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Many people stick with CC3 for performance reasons - especially if they've got older hardware.
    Even so, I've a couple of schools who have specifically wanted to stay with RM but retain a good level of performance. So, stuck with CC3 and on decent hardware it really does fly, plus being very easy to manage. Should you have any problems and the school has the relevant support contracts with RM then you'll be able to get any information you need from RM's support system and knowledgebase, plus the knowledgebase here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    @shutdownplease:

I take it you have been in charge of Vanilla networks before by the sound of your post so you should have a firm grasp of the underlying platform it's just a management overlay which takes care of all the mundane jobs of creating users blah blah!

The thing that most people think though is that you need to have RM hold your hand all the way through which you don't and that you have to use their proprietry hardware to make it work which you don't.

We have ran a CC3 network for 8 years now and it is as solid as a rock but we have built another platform on new servers for CC4 and we are now in the process of migration instead of upgrading as this would not be the path I would choose for the school as it means more hassle in getting things sorted.

We have also integrated linux systems into our network which work brilliantly and also we will be adding our other virtualised servers to this. All in all i don't think you should have any problems, good luck with the job interview and I hope this is the start of a good relationship with RM, Edugeek and of course us the dedicated IT people who make things just "work".

13. Thanks to bossman from:

Sylv3r (4th February 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread