+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Imaging Netbooks in Technical; We have bought some shiny new Samsung NB30s and I am currently attempting to image them. I built one machine, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,471 Posts

Imaging Netbooks

We have bought some shiny new Samsung NB30s and I am currently attempting to image them.
    I built one machine, putting Win 7 pro on it and went into the bios to make sure it booted to the network ( in this case PCI-BEV-YUKO etc) so that we could use WDS - no problem. Then it was ready to capture the image to the server ready for the others.
    However, when sorting out the rest ready for accepting the image I went to change the boot order so they would boot off the network card and it was described in the list as PCI-BEV-N/A
    Is this because the netbooks come with Win 7 starter?
    Do I really have to let all 32 go through the tedious and time-consuming start procedure so I can put in the correct drivers? (it installs everything - office etc - very very slowly)
    There must be another way, surely? I am slowly losing the will to live and looking more incompetent by the day. The netbooks should have been sorted ages ago and I am just getting nowhere with them.
    I am praying that I have missed something really obvious - if you know what it is please feel free to laugh and point...
    Now where is that edugin?
    Last edited by witch; 30th March 2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: clarification

Thank Post
    Basic stuff but could you not configure one with everything .. sysprep it and use ghost or fog or something similar to image the rest? Win 7 will make an image of itself so you could make the image and use it to image the rest ... If you do it this way you have to re-image and then sysprep the newly imaged machine before connecting it to the network

Thank Post
    Yes, that is what I am doing! BUT I need the ones accepting the image to be able to boot off the network card and that is what I am missing.
    Or maybe I don't understand what you are saying? What do you mean - Win 7 will make an image of itself?
    I don't have a license for GHOST in this school and I have never used FOG
    Last edited by witch; 30th March 2011 at 08:39 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Acronis home trial? will allow you to copy a laptop hard drive image to an external drive, then use that as your base and install on all machines?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    What do you mean - Win 7 will make an image of itself?
    Yes its one of the backup options .... You can save the image on an external hard drive and use it to restore to another (identical hardware) PC ... You end up with an EXACT replica of the original so you must run sysprep on the new one before attatching it to the network and joining it to the domain ....

Thank Post
    so they are just booting hdd by default rather than nic?

if so often jnust keep clobbering the f12 key and they will net boot even if they arnt set to net boot first

Thank Post
    Just another thought ... I was always under the assumption that the bios was nothing to do with the O/S so you can change the boot order even if the HDD is empty ..

Thank Post
    Right - I have let the machine go through its setup (yawn) and have looked in device manager and there are no drivers missing! But I still can't see the card to change the boot order in order to get it to see WDS to capture the image.
    I must be missing something...but what?

Thank Post
    I can change the boot order - but the nic is not there - it is described as N/A - that's the problem.
    If I hit F12 constantly, it seems to try but gets to the exiting PXE ROM bit and goes around again - never getting any further

Thank Post
    Any firmware updates for the NB30?

Thank Post
    Does the bios have an option for pxe boot if so select it then boot hitting F12

Thank Post
    Go into BIOS/Boot/PXE OPROM and set it to always ... save and exit ... go back into bios and your PCI BEV should show your network card ....

Thank Post
    We had issues with notebooks and WDS. I didn't work on it but my colleague had to inject the lan drivers into WDS for pxe to work.

Hope that helps you look in the right area

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I can change the boot order - but the nic is not there - it is described as N/A - that's the problem.
    This sounds like a BIOS settings issue rather than anything to do with network card drivers. You probably just need to enable an optional "PXE boot" feature somewhere in your BIOS settings - your LAN card might be enabled but the PXE boot option might not be (they often aren't, by default). You often find the switch-PXE-booting-on option under "chipset" or "on board devices" headings, depending on your BIOS - I think Brpilot99's post above probably points to the right place.

If you can't get the machines to PXE boot by themselves then you can use gPXE, which will load a PXE boot stack off CD, USB stick, SD card or floppy drive, then boot from the network for you. That contains drivers for most network cards and is a pretty reliable solution to getting most machines to network boot - I've used it on several of ours, running off old floppy drives, to convince otherwise reluctant workstations to PXE boot properly.

Thank Post
    Yes - thing is I have done the 'set it to always' bit and it still doesnt appear!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast