+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS.nET Default username / password? in Technical; I've just done a fresh SIMS.net server install and selected create blank database? Does anyone know what the default username ...
    Thank Post

SIMS.nET Default username / password?

I've just done a fresh SIMS.net server install and selected create blank database?

Does anyone know what the default username and password is to login?

I'd rather not drop the existing school DB from the live sims server right now.

Thank Post
    sysman

and either

password

or

PASSWORD

Thank Post
    i think the blank DB and simsconfiguration.exe are out of date.

anyone know of anyway to trick solus into downloading them? solus won't work on the new server because its looking for stuff in the database i think? (SOLUS is only for managed sites. etc)

on the old server there are no updates to download included no infrastructure updates? anyway to reset it? can the db and simsconfiguration be downloaded via solus?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    not sure what those files do, but if it's looking for stuff in the db, can't you attach a backup of the live server to trick solus into working, then detach / remove it...?

the way i thought solus worked was that stuff is released to you, so it will only show stuff that is released and that your current server needs. once stuff is downloaded it wont show up again.

you'll probably need to ask capita or your support team to put stuff up on to solus for you or send you the files you need.
    can't you take any files you need over from the setups folder the old server, that's usually how i make my test machines, though there is a lot of redundant stuff there. i'm not normally making a clean install though, just something to test updates on.

Thank Post
    aall the SIMSinst.exe and stuff is up to date. but the blank DB is from 2004. and has the old sysadm users in it. and the simsconfiguration.exe is out of date as well.

I'm going to ask the LA for the latest CD. I can't wait for the lecture from, "oh no don't touch the simS server"

Thank Post
    You shouldn't attach a new database unless your a new school, if you are, you need the latest installable media.

Thank Post
    I want to test the basic SIMS installation procedure, without the constraints of the data / child protection issues that arise from attaching a "real" database

Thank Post
    You really want Capita's training database, but you have the same chance as getting a gold bar for christmas. Unfortunately, the blank database won't be any good. You still won't cover the docstorage, password issues. And you certainly won't be configuring the schools database unlike you HAVE to do with the blank one, which in it's self is a major job, more so then installing it.

Thank Post
    Nothing to stop you taking a backup of your live database and using it in a secure test environment well away from the real SIMS server though surely?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    I want to test the basic SIMS installation procedure, without the constraints of the data / child protection issues that arise from attaching a "real" database
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    Nothing to stop you taking a backup of your live database and using it in a secure test environment well away from the real SIMS server though surely?
    yep. better to test a disaster recovery procedure than blank database install. clean server with sql, attach a backup, reconfigure name, ip, doc store and mapped drive etc. login and test.

Thank Post
    i know, the next i was going to do was attach the real sims database anyway. I would just rather the install actually worked! inspires a bit more confidence you know?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread