+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook

I was wondering if anyone has successfully deployed Google Apps at their school, using the Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook?

I am particularly interested in the deployment of the sync tool, and the subsequent GPO settings - most importantly the creation of an Outlook Profile File (prf). Is this something we should do ourselves, or do Google provide a template prf?

Any experience/advice would be much appreciated, e.g. performance issues, SSO integration, recommended registry settings, PST file location and size issues, etc. I am aware of the following resource:

Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook® - Google Apps Help

I have contacted Google Enterprise Support and asked about setting up prf profiles for users, and their response was as follows:

“…there is no option to automatically configure google apps so that users will be prompted to user the Google apps sync tool the first time they login. So as long as users have their username/password, they should be able to download, install and setup the google apps sync tool…”

Any experience/advice from those using Google Apps would be appreciated – including those using IMAP or the web interface only. Has anyone managed to successfully set up internet filters that permit users to log in to their school Google Apps gmail account, but block them from logging in to their personal account? If not, has this caused a problem at the school?

Many thanks!

Thank Post
    How did you get on with this? We've had Google Apps since Christmas and everything is fine web-based, however new PA to the Head is all-but demanding I give them Outlook because they know how it works and don't want to learn Google. So, I either need to get this working or have a decent reason to say "no".

Thank Post
    Well the project has somewhat stalled whilst we wait for Office 365 to be released.

I raised the question on Google help forum, but have not really had a satisfactory response as of yet:

Deployment of Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook MSI & creation of Outlook profiles (prf) - Google Apps Help

I would be happy to provide instructions to staff and support them getting their profiles set up within Outlook, but I'm not sure the process will be as easy with 1400 students. Our users are used to using Microsoft Outlook, and we plan to continue using it whichever mail platform we end up going with.

I don't think you'll have much trouble deploying Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook for a few staff users - assuming you need to sync mail, calendars and contacts? You can use an MSI to deploy it, but it looks like your users will need to set up their Outlook profiles manually. I guess it's only a matter of time before Google put in place a better process though.

4. Thanks to cbsc from:

enjay (17th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsc View Post
    I don't think you'll have much trouble deploying Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook for a few staff users - assuming you need to sync mail, calendars and contacts? You can use an MSI to deploy it, but it looks like your users will need to set up their Outlook profiles manually. I guess it's only a matter of time before Google put in place a better process though.
    Thanks, that was much the conclusion I'd come to as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread