+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, IPad and Proxy Problems in Technical; A member of staff has brought in a ipad and asked if they could have it on the wireless network ...
    Thank Post

IPad and Proxy Problems

A member of staff has brought in a ipad and asked if they could have it on the wireless network and i agreed as i thought this would be a good test as we have just reconfigured our wireless network and looking to expand it. Unfortunately its not managed, but any i digress.

Anyway, i added the ipad to the network which managed to get an ip address from the DHCP server without any problems. I added in the proxy server and the port and turned authentication on but never inputted any usernames or passwords so that when the user fires up safari it will ask the user for a username and password, all working no problems.

Then i thought, ok, this is fine, i shall input the username and password in the proxy settings of the wirelss networks. Again, this worked fine.

Now for some reason when i take out the proxy username authentication and password so the following is set:

HTTP Proxy
    Manual
    Server: x.x.x.x
    Port: xxxx
    Authentication ON
    Username: Blank
    Password: Blank

The ipad seems to automatically use the network admin details to browse the net. Even when Authentication is set to OFF, it still uses network admin details. The only way not to get it to browse the net is to turn the proxy off. I have tried to forget this network, i have tried reseting the network settings. The only i haven't tried is a full reset on the device.

So, my question is this, is there a way to remove automatically stored usernames and passwords for proxy authentication?

Thanks

Thank Post
    You could put in details of a test account and then re-set the domain password of the account. You should then get an authentication box where the user can enter the correct details?

Thank Post
    Tried that too.. Its like the Ipad has stored the network admin username and password on the ipad and will not let you override it.

Thank Post
    Atleast as a final option you could reset the Network Admin password, bit of a ball ache though if you're running any services off of it (which you shouldn't be...... but meh). I'd imagine it would chuck up another prompt then.

Thank Post
    For future reference, here's how we made the cursed contraption stop using the previous credentials.

1) Change credentials under manual proxy settings.
    2) Disable (in Active Directory) the previously used account.
    3) Browse somewhere.
    4) Watch your proxy logs and see it use the credentials it should be using.
    5) Enable the previously used account.

Well, that and cursing programmers in general.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried just resetting the device? Press and hold both the lock and home buttons for five seconds and it'll force power off the device. This should clear the credentials cache.

These infernal contraptions are making their way into our district and they've been one headache after another... To make things a little easier on ourselves I setup an Apache server on our proxy to hand out proxy auto configuration files and set address on the iDoohicky. This way if I ever have to make changes I don't need to visit each device again.

Thank Post
    It seems that this is not easy to set-up on an iPad

This may be of help - Proxy Setup for Apple iPad

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    Have you tried just resetting the device? Press and hold both the lock and home buttons for five seconds and it'll force power off the device. This should clear the credentials cache.

These infernal contraptions are making their way into our district and they've been one headache after another... To make things a little easier on ourselves I setup an Apache server on our proxy to hand out proxy auto configuration files and set address on the iDoohicky. This way if I ever have to make changes I don't need to visit each device again.
    For most things it does, for proxy settings it doesn't. Even resetting networking completely doesn't clear it. Wherever it's stored, the only way I've managed to purge credentials without feeding it new ones is to factory reset the device.

Thank Post
    Anyone work how to clear the password?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    For most things it does, for proxy settings it doesn't. Even resetting networking completely doesn't clear it. Wherever it's stored, the only way I've managed to purge credentials without feeding it new ones is to factory reset the device.
    annoyingly this still seems to be the case even in the latest ios 7 release. has anyone found a route around this without having to factory reset the device. the problem being even once it is reset and you hand it back into the class the issue will soon repeat itself.

it wouldn't be so bad if it stored one set of correct details, but ours seem to prompt for a new set of details at random intervals, rendering certain sites (which are allowed with authentication and not without) inaccessible until that point.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread