+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Webcam Timplapse in General; We are having a new building done and would like to set up a time lapsed webcam to make a ...

Thank Post

Webcam Timplapse

We are having a new building done and would like to set up a time lapsed webcam to make a movie of and post stills to the website.

Is there an out of the box solution I can get working in a day or some free software to use with an old webcam? Ideally I would like to take a shot every 1 to 2 hours daily not have a continuous stream.

Thanks

Chris

Thank Post
    Yawcam is the tool for the job - does all the capturing/uploading and lets you store the pics locally to produce a time-lapse movie later

Si

3. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

CHR1S (7th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thats perfect, thanks Si

Thank Post
    Heh, ours is ticking over nicely with the 6th form here. Using a Y-Cam white, with external enclosure up a light pole, connected to 30ft of PoE cat6, set to FTP a still every 10 minutes to a location.

Currently the location is a 4gb USB pen in my SnakeOS home BT client box, that's living in the building cab. Works well.

(Of course, if their IT guy hadn't supplied us with moody media converters it'd have been FTP'ing back to our IIS box and showing on the website, but heyho..fibre is fine, but his media converters are not.)

Thank Post
    I am using yawcam for the very same thing here. it updates every 30 seconds and saves the image in a sharepoint folder. Every 90 minutes, i use a little script to copy the latest image to another folder, rename it with a datestamp and then I use those images to create a timelapse. (here).

If you are using yawcam internally you can also set up a stream for staff to look at over the network.

7. Thanks to Admiral208 from:

CHR1S (7th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi - we're in the same boat, a new school build is starting and the task falls to me to get some sort of time lapse solution setup. I've been quoted 1500 setup and 75 a month for a managed service, but this is way out of our budget. I'm totally new to all of this, so looking for advice on the best solution. The construction site is quite large with initial work being farthest away from the camera position, so I guess resolution will need to be reasonable. The camera will need to be external and mounted on a pole, so I presume I'm going to be looking at some sort of IP cam based solution. Can anyone provide recommendations on the sort of kit I should be looking at and a rough guide to setting it up ? Do I look at a time lapse camera which will take photos say once an hour and store them away, or do I have a constant feed camera and use some sort of PC based software to save a snapshot away every hour ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread