Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

skeep

Members
  • Posts

    39
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by skeep

  1. skeep

    Squid Dynamic ACL

    Hi All, I have squid setup up running and I want to add IP addresses to a text file and load that into the squid config. Then I can just add a new IP address to the file and it will work without restarting the service. I have tried this in the config but it is not working: acl localnet src "path/to/file/trusted_ip.txt" obviously I changed the path to the correct one! Am I missing something? The txt file has only one ip address init that I am using to test with: 10.143.20.96/255.255.255.255 If i add this line: acl localnet src 10.143.20.96/255.255.255.255 It works perfectly however, the ip address will be random and i do not want to have to restart the squid service. Is this possible?
  2. unfortunately I have been given a budget of £0 to implement web filtering for our boarding network.
  3. Thanks both that is working, is there a web gui available for dansGuardian? would make it a lot easier to manage?
  4. Hi All, I am looking into DansGuardian and I wanted to know if it can block polices at certain times? We are a boarding school and I need to be able to block all web access at midnight, can this be achieved? Thanks Skeep
  5. Thanks all for your replys, The situation is daunting to someone who has only ever been an ICT Support Manager, however, I am starting to get my head around all that is required. One thing I did not ask is are you all dedicated MIS staff or do you have other roles? What is your jiob title within the school? The head at the school wants to employ a dedicated member of MIS staff under myself as soon as possible. However, I am not sure that that is the correct direction. I much prefer to spilt the role amongst many staff, simply to move away from the MIS GOD philosophy. I'm going to start writing a proposal for my vision of MIS within the school so hopefully this will allow me to gain a better understanding of what I am taking on!! Many Thanks
  6. Hi All I have recently started a new job looking after the ICT and MIS systems within a school. We currently do not have a dedicated MIS member of staff. At present things are particularly messy as the person in my post prior, built many bespoke systems for registration, after school activities, sanctions, etc. The school is currently using engage or double first as its MIS system. I wondered wether some of you could give me some feeback on how your school tackles MIS: Do you have a dedicated MIS member of staff? Do you use bespoke systems? Who is first line support on MIS issues? Any other info you may suggest to help me resolve this mess!! Thanks Skeep
  7. ok after my last post it has stopped working again, so here is the extensive testing I have done this afternoon, maybe it will help try to resolve the problem: Unistalled wmp11 and wmp11 runtime and reinstalled wmp11 logged on as admin (worked), user1 (worked), user2 (broke), logged in user1 (worked), restarted did not work for anyone. Unistalled wmp11 and wmp11 runtime and reinstalled wmp11 logged on as admin (worked), user1 (worked), user2 (worked) restarted logged on as user2 (worked), admin (broke) Unistalled wmp11 and wmp11 runtime and reinstalled wmp11 run as local admin (worked) user2 (worked) admin (worked) restarted run as user2 (worked) run as admin (broke), run as local admin (worked) Unistalled wmp11 and wmp11 runtime and left wmp10 working!! As you can see from above I cannot see a pattern and this has to be the most random problem I have ever come across in the 10 years I have been in the IT support sector!!!!
  8. I managed to get 11 working on one. I removed 11 restarted, then removed 11 runtime, then downloaded 11 and reinstalled. Now Works!!!! Now I have to do that on about 20 other computers!!!
  9. hi Gary437 I have tried exactly the same with no luck it feels nice not to be alone though!!!
  10. ok.. nothing I have tried seems to work apart from uninstalling wmp11. Surely there must be a better solution it has happened on another two computers today!!
  11. no roaming
  12. Thanks for the reply. It is very starnge and we have all dell computers. The one it is happening on today is a brand new PC with a brand new user and still the same problem. Searching on the web shows loads of people with this problem but no resolution. Very odd!
  13. Hi All, We have had a problem recently where members of staff cannot open windows media player 11. It says that they should log off and on again before starting media player. Admins can open the software with no problem. The only workaround at the moment has been to uninstall 11 and then use 10. Which is not the way forward. Has anyone seen this / know how to resolve it. Many Thanks Skeep
  14. hi all, Thought i would register and just say that the bug above should now be fixed in version 1.1.1. Also I will look at opening just one window when deploying vnc in the next version. In addition you can select multiple computers by holding the control key. Thanks Skeep
×
×
  • Create New...