Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TheGoodGuy

Members
  • Posts

    129
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TheGoodGuy

  1. We use a cloud backup simply because it has multiple redundancy and is disaster proof. E.g. What happens if there is a flood in your whole area? Took me ages to find one that had all the assurances for data protection that was a decent price.
  2. Thanks for the feedback. I am at a primary school, it would be nice to use fingerprint login as the little ones struggle typing in usernames and passwords, so we end up making the same login for them to use, but then they end up saving over each other's work! Windows 8.1 is supposed to integrate more seamlessly with fingerprint authentication Maybe I will purchase a couple of readers just to test with, but if it struggles with primary children then it may not work so well. I'd suggest barcodes but they would just lose them :/. Wish we could get the children microchipped!!! Would be useful in many ways!
  3. Just wondered if anyone here uses fingerprint authentication for windows and how well it works.
  4. The annoying thing is that it seems to be random. I might just prevent the computers from going on standby and run maintenance tasks during lunchtime. I have a theory that it is due to static build-up but I don't see why that would only affect them on standby.
  5. The only change is a different antivirus SCEP instead of Symantec.
  6. The computers in our ict suite randomly seem to freeze when coming back from standby, sometimes it happens, sometimes not. Anyone else come across this issue?
  7. The closest thing I have found so far is a console extension. https://sites.google.com/site/configmgrextensions/home
  8. I went to that but didn't see any settings for starting and shutting down groups of computers.
  9. I am looking for a way to power on and shut down computers, would be easiest managed through SCCM. Anyone out there do this? If so, how?
  10. There is an issue that the web filtering that we have is not able to pickup on text within images that is inappropriate. Also I have had it reported to me that other searches can bring up lots of inappropriate images. For instance, the term "schoolgirl" searched in Google images brings up many things that we would consider inappropriate. How do you manage image searching? Do you know any image sites especially for children? Thank you for your feedback.
  11. Does disabling UAC make your system less secure if the users are not admins?
  12. May I ask what method you used to achieve this?
  13. That's the odd thing. The language is being set to UK by default, BUT the keyboard is defaulting to US!! It's driving me crazy. I tried the GPO trick for setting a default keyboard but sometimes it seems to default back to the US. So my best option would be to remove the US keyboard? I am not even sure why the US keyboard is being installed with the GB ISOs, maybe it is related to SCCM?? I have read elsewhere that keyboards can appear when things remote in.
  14. Ok I got the ISOs for GB, but the default keyboard is still being set as English US. Anyone know an easy way to remove the US one so the UK is default?
  15. Probably would be quicker to write my own program that can encapsulate SIMS.
  16. Evaluation version doesn't seem to work through SCCM. Anyone able to send me the GB ISO for volume licensing?
  17. Spiceworks looks to be more within our budget. I will look into it. Thanks for the tips all.
  18. Just wondered if you guys had any recommendations for software to monitor the ink levels/rollers/transfer belts of all the printers in the school. Something where you can set your own custom alerts.
  19. Is there anything within SIMS to allow the password to have to be reentered after a certain amount of time of inactivity in sims? It would be nice if there was the ability to set lockout times for different members of staff, so stored as a variable. I am probably just being hopeful here but I thought I would ask.
  20. One way to improve performance is to split the dbs across different logical drives. I have our MDFs on raid 1 SSDs and the LDFs on the SAS array. Plenty of RAM also helps We have an online backup service so we are able to do hot backups to the cloud as well as local daily backups.
  21. Hello all, I am having an issue with windows 8.1 after installing sims workstation through solus 3 to a new build. The problem is that when it loads it cannot find a connect file and even when you fill in the details in the prompt, it still won't work. The only way to remedy it is to login with the AD account that was used to add sims via solus 3. Anyone else come across this issue? I don't want to be having to manually login for every new build that I make. So any suggestions would be welcomed.
  22. Ok thanks Mr.Ben, I will give it a try. I found this for windows 8.1 http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2013/10/21/removing-windows-8-1-built-in-applications.aspx Slightly easier to manage.
  23. It doesn't say what it is installing. It just says installing apps the first time a user logs into a computer and gives some sort of tutorial on how to use win8
  24. Is there a way to avoid the installing of apps every time a user logs in?
×
×
  • Create New...