Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

robjd

Members
  • Posts

    36
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by robjd

  1. I run SIMS on VMWare Fusion with little fuss. Sometimes if they suspend the VM they have to manually open the network location but apart from that its all good.
  2. Hey all, Any recommendations of a paid for, Windows /cloud based network monitoring tool? I tried nagios but my Linux is pathetic and my time is short. I have quite a generous budget to pay out with and have waded through the free ones and either they don't do everything I want or are not supported anymore so just want to pay for a nice, easy to use system. Must be Windows, price isn't a problem. Thanks all
  3. works perfectly. Google docs is great so enjoy it
  4. If he is using the AV which came with it then its most likely Norton and there is your problem solved (kill it with fire). Win 8 comes with virus protection out the box nowadays so start with the AV removal. If that fixes it then he can see if he is happy or wants to look at other AV solutions. If its not that then give it an msconfig to see if there is anything funny running.
  5. Talking to our MIS's helpdesk the other day (not capita) and they let slip there is Windows Authentication available for SIMS. I inherited our SIMS on a leave it alone, it works basis but am interested in getting this running. Does anyone have any pointers as where to start. I don't suppose its as easy as installing a plugin or anything is it?
  6. robjd

    Chrome homepage

    I am just using a mountain lion server with profiles. I had a look at Gerk's fix but the google chrome folder does not seem to appear in the library. This is all basically because I am fed up with Safari throwing a fit at old versions of flash. I continue my quest Thanks
  7. I have a multipoint server and it can be a little twitchy. I would start by adding a USB PCI-E card or 2 and balancing the client hubs over those. This would eliminate any motherboard latency. Also I cant be sure as I am currently on MP 2011 but believe 2012 has more Remote FX, do you have this enabled and a card worthy of it with correct server drivers? My multipoint sounds a similar spec to yours and is running 14 clients over LAN and flash seems ok with it. Let me know as Im upgrading mine soon.
  8. RDP comes with Office 2011 if that helps. We use a VMware Fusion on our handful of Macbooks which does the job perfectly.
  9. using Kaspersky here and although there are faults (windows 8 support was rubbish), its pretty great at doing its job although time consuming. I almost moved to ESET once but didn't like the guy on the stand at BETT.
  10. Another vote for SSD here. Our standard spec is something like this... i3, 4GB RAM, 120SSD, onboard graphics unless its for anything special and a monitor around 21.5" as long as its 1920 x 1080. Stone seem to give us the best at the moment.
  11. just to throw my opinion out there. We have just ordered about 60 of the things after a brief trial. The teachers love them because they start so quick and the students love them because they are to the point. Google Docs works perfectly and in a 3 month trial, not one support call about them. Oddly enough, I'm not google's biggest fan but cant argue with the £210 laptop which works in seconds and is so easy to use and manage.
×
×
  • Create New...