Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Dantech

Members
  • Posts

    78
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Dantech

  1. Hi I have spent the last year getting rid of a Linux system. Our main issue was that every time we opened a browser we had to authenticate, every time we accessed e-mail(squirrel mail) we had to authenticate. It was not untypical for most ofice staff and teachers to login at least twenty times a day. Squirrel has got be be the worst e-mail system I have ever used. I soon got rid and setup exchange server 2003 to tie in with the brand new Server 2003 AD that I put in as well. We now have single sign on to our whole system and even to SIMS. The only Linux I have now is a moodle server which runs two virtual servers on some version of Linux. This is supported by Webanywhere and I am totally dependent on them for support. It took the Linux Guru about 3 weeks on and off to get single sign on working with moodle but it does work well. The problem is that my moodle server is just a glorified PC with a standard Gigabyte Mobo and a single PSU and I notice how slow it is compared with my HP kit. I regret not paying more for an HP server now.
  2. I have bought a new Server running 2008 enterprise with Hyper V but I cannot get my virtual machine (server 2003) to connect to my real network. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get my virtual machine to talk to the real network? I want to create a print server to start with before committing to a Virtual DC. The machine is so fast running this operating system with twin Quad Core Processors and 4 Gb RAM. I bought it because I want to use it as a multimedia streaming server but I have to completely re-learn this because the terminology used on Server 2008 is totally different to that used on Server 2003.
  3. You cannot add XP home to a domain. I just bought an Asus EeePC and discovered I can connect to the network and access my home drive (h:) by mapping a drive to it but the whole point of home is that most normal people do not need to login to a domain at home. A lot of the networking functionality is simply not there in XP Home. Never buy school machines with XP Home on unless you plan to use a select agreement or school agreement license to upgrade to pro.
×
×
  • Create New...