Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

DLAS

Members
  • Posts

    34
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DLAS

  1. I think that's what I said, maybe I worded it badly! I'm more than happy to use TS and am enjoying the level of customisation I can achieve with a piece of kit that is very powerful and very free. In fact I want to stay away from the Windows/Linux embedded stuff - which is why I quite like the possibility of building my own. These Thinclients will be connecting to an already configured terminal server (RDS) that we've had for a while that has a few apps installed. Nothing too graphical or intensive. Our remote sessions have always struggled with intense graphical work or multimedia, so I tend to keep those sorts of things limited to the local machines (At least for now). I just really like the idea of removing a number of "thick Clients" that we currently have to run, license, maintain, AV etc... with something that is cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and easier to maintain. I've built a TS image that does exactly what I need and deployed it over the network (Have tested on some thick clients), now I just need some stripped down and cheaper hardware to run on. I was just a bit baffled by the huge array of Thinclients available and wanted a bit of advice. Thanks,
  2. Thanks for the suggestions, I quite like the idea of building my own! I came across a blog entry not so long ago where someone had used the Laser cutter in the technology department to custom create their own Thinclient containment using some left over acyrlic. With a smattering of LED's they really looked the part. I'm just aware that alot of Thin clients ship with some embedded Linux/Windows "light" OS installed - just seems I can get exactly what I want (Plus alot more customisation) by using TS.
  3. Hi, I've recently spent some time putting together a Thinstation image that has a few basics on it (Firefox and a PDF reader) that also allows connection to a terminal server. All we have at the minute are thick clients, which I'm fine with re-using as imitation "Thin Clients". I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on which Thin Clients to buy moving forward that would suit my purposes. I was thinking something from Wyse or Dell, but to be completely honest I'm not sure what best suit my needs. Anyone have any suggestions/experiences regarding the above? Thanks,
  4. Thanks for all of the help guys. I've had some time to play around and it seems it was a DHCP issue. Disabling IPv6 did nothing by itself but when I statically assigned the IP and DNS the problem went away. Looking into how I can fix it without having to statically assign an IP on each computer on the network but at least I can get the machines working now. So big thanks once again!
  5. I'll try disabling IPv6 and see how that works. Thanks for all the responses so far, as you can imagine this is giving me a real headache! If anyone has any other ideas feel free to chip in, I'll get back to you all on Tuesday and let you know how I get on.
  6. I haven't tried using static IP addressing on the machines, I'll give that a go, thanks. If I boot with no network cable, it boots up OK - then as soon as I plug the cable back in the computer just locks up, so it's not limited to locking up just on boot. I've sent countless Wireshark logs to the Draytek support guys with no luck, everything seemed to be fairly normal. There is no local server on this network (yet). I can try setting the DNS as the Draytek on one of the clients and see how that works. The machines all work 100% fine in safe mode with networking... I've tried disabling all manner of combinations of services to see if that helped but I couldn't get a configuration that worked.
  7. At the moment the Draytek is providing DHCP to the clients. Do 32 bit and 64 bit clients have significant differences in the initialisation of their networking info? It has to be router related - if I plug the crappy netgear back in (that was also acting as a dhcp server) everything works 100% as it should. It may also be worth mentioning that it's not a BSOD exactly, it's just a lock up. The computer will boot until it get to the local login, it'll then lock up and freeze (before you can enter any credentials). The machine is then completely unresponsive, can only be revived with a hard reset. Cheers
  8. Cheers for the responses guys, They are wired clients, I don't believe the chipset is Atheros. Off the top of my head I'd be guessing the NIC drivers are Broadcom. Could be wrong though, I was just looking to get some suggestions so when I go back to work on Tuesday I can work through them all. I didn't want to start troubleshooting it from scratch myself in case anybody had knowledge of something similar (or could point me to an area to start). I figured Draytek would have been able to help but they didn't come up with anything. I'll look into slapping the latest drivers on the clients first thing on Tuesday.
  9. Hello all, I've got the weirdest problem ever... On a network, I swapped the router from a standard home Netgear (Was just a stop-gap solution for a rushed building move) to a Draytek Vigor 2830, everything seemed to be fine. I booted up a few computers on the network and the majority of them work. The only problem is with the 64-bit machines. Every single machine running a 64bit OS crashes on the login screen. They'll boot into safe-mode with networking and work fine, the minute they're booted normally on the network with the Draytek they just lock up. After long and fruitless conversations with Draytek and millions of different firmware versions, I'm nowhere. I've tried Google with no luck... It's like it's never happened to anyone before. I can get round it for now by re-imaging with 32bit and then they work fine but it's hardly a great solution. The 64-bit machines were actually ordered by mistake a while back, never thought it would cause this sort of problem! Does anyone have any ideas at all? It's driving me mad! Thanks
×
×
  • Create New...