Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

theforce

Members
  • Posts

    41
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by theforce

  1. im using the boot.wim from the windows 7 sp1 cd. It requires me to manually provide the language setting, the the en-uk (en-gb) option available. Also this is one aspect of the xml that isn't working, the other one is supplying the username and password. this part also does not work. Many thanks.
  2. Hi, I'm hoping someone can help here. I have a couple of issues with automating WDS using unattended.xml. Firstly, My server is Windows 2008 R2 64bit, I am trying to automate the WinPE phase of WDS. I have associated the the following unattended.xml file to the x86 boot images. However the language is not selected and the username and password is not entered (I have to perform both these tasks manually). The only thing the xml seems to do is choose the partition for where the installation will occour. Here is the xml for the winPe phase OnError wdsadmin myschool wdspassword OnError Windows 7 Professional SP1 x86 Images Windows7proSP1.wim 0 1 OnError 1 Primary true true false NTFS OS C 1 1 0 true OnError en-UK en-UK Does anyone know what the issue might be? Secondly, with regards to syspreping a windows 7 machine, I have created an unattended.xml file (from a thread on this website, which I can't find now), using mysysprep and sysprep.cmd, I sysprep the machine and reboot, upon reboot the syprep process asks me to enter a machine name. Once the machine name is supplied, the computer is then added to the domain using the name I supplied, and everything is fine. However, If I run sysprep and then restart the computer, boot into winpe and take an image of the machine. I then load the image on another machine using wds, the process happens exactly the same, i.e. it asks me for a name for the computer. However, regardless of what name I supply (name that is less then 16 characters), the computer is joined to the domain using the username I supplied during the WinPE process of WDS. i.e. at the WinPE stage if I use the account WDSAdmin, my computers will be joined to the domain as WDSAdmin1, WDSAdmin2 etc.. whereas if i use the account administrator it names the machine administrator1 administrator2 etc.. This happens regardless of wheather I try to associate an unattended.xml to the winpe process or not. Here is my xml for the Windows 7 image. en-GB en-GB en-US en-GB en-GB true Work 1 dwBlAGwAYwBvAG0AZQBQAGEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQA false Local User Teacher administrators Teacher GMT Standard Time myschool myschool false xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx %Please input a computer name% myschool myschool false GMT Standard Time myschool.local WDSADMIN WDSpassword myschool.local Thanks in advance, if anyone can help shed some light into what I'm doing wrong. kind regards, Afzal.
  3. Hi I'm looking for exactly the same. Just wondered if you've found an alternative? Kind regards.
  4. Hi I am trying to create smartnotebook 10.8 software. I downloaded the smart install manager and the smartnotebook 10.8 software. When I try to load the smartnotebook software into the smart install manager it tells me that xxxxxxx.exe is not a valid smart installation package. Have just downloaded the wrong package.. i.e its the single install becuase I couldn't find it listed in the administrative downloads page. Can someone post me the link to where the correct download could be or what I am doing wrong? It took ages to download the current package which is 292mb. Many thanks. and regards.
  5. ah yes ofcourse, If i reserve the mac address of the client for an IP in Domain B, i then don't need to set a static ip, and so avoiding a second visit to the machine to change ip allocation to DHCP, once domain A is decommissioned. Nice one. I'll test that.. but I'm not sure with two DHCP servers running, how do I stop the client from getting an IP from DHCP on Domain A
  6. Hi I need a little help in trying to get my new network running. I've inherited a school where they have one (semi broken cc3) domain (domain A), a 2nd (vanilla) domain (Domain B). For a short while (lets say a period of 3 months) they need both domains to run on the same network simoultaneously. What's the best way to go about this. Can I run Domain A and domain B on the same DHCP Scope, obviously both have their own DHCP, DNS servers. What I've come up with is I will exclude an IP range on Domain A (lets say 50 addresses) extending the exclusion as and when required. I will then statically assign the clients on domain B the excluded ip addresses, until such time where I will be in a position to completely switch off domain A. I have configured WDS on domain B. During the middle of the day when its reasonably safe that everyone has turned their computers on and have an IP assigned, 1) I switch off dhcp and dns on domain A 2) Activate the dhcp scope on domain B, 3) Build the stations that I need to, 4) Then deactivate dhcp on domain B 5) and reactive dns and dhcp on domain A. I have set my WDS to listen for unknown clients, but without an activated dhcp scope on domain B the pxe boot process does not pick up an IP address. Is there a better way to get these two domains working on the same range simultaneously, or I just have to put up with this long winded process until they are back on one domain?
  7. Hi, our school recently moved to Windows 7. We're using smartnotebook 9.7 becuase we have some smartboard 500 series. Anyway, since we moved to Windows 7 we seemed to have lost the smart print capture feature. I found this article The New and Improved Print Capture in Notebook 10.6 | Teq Blog which says *UPDATE* Print Capture does not currently work on Windows 7 machines. SMART are aware of the issue and are working on a solution. We will provide updates when we receive them. but this was in January 2010, So I'm wondering if there is any change to this. if so can anyone help. Kind regards.
  8. OK, this is from someone at RM. Just spoken to ***** in 3rd line and here’s what basically happens: There is a Default User profile stored on the RM server, when you click ‘reset profile’ the current users profile content is deleted and the content from that default profile is copied in. Regards Now to create a script that does that.. Will try to do that. If anyone already has something similar.. would really appreciate it.
  9. These are roaming profiles.. and more often then not they will not be logging on to a clean station. There is a delprof.exe that can be pushed out via gpo.. to clean the station.. but the RM way is so much better and so not messy. just would be really nice to know, what actually happens behind the scenes when the clean profile option is selected on the RM MMC
  10. Glad to know someone out there who has the same problem. I don't really like CC3/CC4 as i think it makes us dumb as techies I do however love the clear profile feature which is so handy. I'm trying to understand how this feature works so that I can apply it to a vanilla windows environment. Same as the original poster.. would love to know anyone who has any idea's.
  11. Hi I have just downloaded and setup purgos on windows 2003 and first impressions look great. Well the remote control bit anyway. I am trying to create a silverlight package to install . I am putting \\servername\sharename\silverlight 4.xx.xxx.xx\silverlight.exe /q on the command line path of the package creation screen. Unfortunately, When I deploy the package I get the message successfully installed. However when I go to the machine I see that the package has not installed. I tried creating a batch file that executes \\servname\sharename\silverlight 4.0.xxx\siliverlight.exe /q then tried to push that batch file via the pargos console and note that the package does not install. However when I call the package from the machine it installs silverlight fine. I guess i can call .bat thru the windows startup script (which should do the trick), but ideally I would like to use pargos for software installs/uninstalls as it looks like a really usefull tool if all the functions can be used. Any help would be appreciated. Regards.
  12. Firstly Sorry, I don't have any windows 7 clients. I am entirely Windows XP running on Windows 2003 server ( sad but true). I have an unattended.xml file linked on the WDS console for x86 machines. What now happens when I pxe boot the machine that I have captured is that it finds the image I want to deploy, I select the image (i think i can automate this too, I just need to fix my unattended.xml point to the right path/imagename etc), it extracts the image and then reboots. upon reboot it goes through a series of steps where I have to specify Machine name supply administrator password enter the windows xp product key and it loads up the image that I want. Now my understanding is that the first part of the deployment is controlled by the unatanded.xml and this seems to be working (excepting for auto selecting my image), and the second part is controlled by the sysprep.sif file which doesnt seem to be working or is not connected to my xp image that I'm deploying. Here is a copy of the xml and sysprep.sif that I am using. My image path is e:\RemoteInstall\Images\Windows XP Image\xptestcapture.wim. On WDS its sitting at the root of boot images (i haven't created any extra image groups). OnError myadmin mydomain mypassword OnError WDS - Windows XP Deployment Boot Images e:\RemoteInstall\Images\Windows XP Image\xptestcapture.wim 0 1 OnError 1 Primary true true false NTFS OS C 1 1 0 true OnError en-UK en-UK sysprep.sif is sitting in e:\remoteinstall\images\windowsxpimage\$oem$\$1 and looks like this SetupMgrTag [Data] AutoPartition=1 MsDosInitiated="1" UnattendedInstall="Yes" floppyless="1" OriSrc="\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%" OriTyp="4" LocalSourceOnCD=1 [setupData] OsLoadOptions="/noguiboot /fastdetect" SetupSourceDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%" [unattended] UnattendMode=ProvideDefault OemPreinstall=No TargetPath=\WINDOWS FileSystem=LeaveAlone NtUpgrade=No OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=No [GuiUnattended] AdminPassword=b6b1aa9b9bb2da02e034c60fa8ac8477eade334b884441b523fdb791c93f0a56 EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes OEMSkipRegional=1 TimeZone=%TIMEZONE% [userData] ProductKey=xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx FullName="myname" OrgName="mycompaney" ComputerName=%MACHINENAME% [Display] BitsPerPel=24 Xresolution=1024 YResolution=768 Vrefresh=60 [RegionalSettings] LanguageGroup=1 SystemLocale=00000809 UserLocale=00000809 InputLocale=0809:00000809 [setupMgr] DistFolder=C:\windist DistShare=windist [identification] JoinDomain=%MACHINEDOMAIN% DoOldStyleDomainJoin=Yes [Networking] InstallDefaultComponents=Yes ProcessPageSections=Yes [RemoteInstall] Repartition=Yes [OSChooser] Description="Windows Professional - Standard Installation" Help="This will install Windows Professional in a standard configuration." LaunchFile="%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%\templates\startrom.com" ImageType=Flat Many thanks for any advice. Kind regards.
  13. Hi I know this quite an old thread, but I'm at the same stage as the poster of this original thread. I have a syspreped image that I want to automate. I'm lead to believe that a combination of unattended.xml and sysprep.sif is whats required to fully automate the process. Im going through the two files from the following website to get this done. Unattended XP Installs with Windows Deployment Services | Rob's Blog Hope this helps. Regards.
  14. That would work for normal applications, except I'm trying to make the defualt program windows photoviewer which runs off .dlls and not an .exe like a conventional program. Any idea? Much appreciated for the help. Regards,
  15. I have a CC4 network with colour magic installed on all computers. When users double click on a picture file, rather then opening it using the colour magic, I would like to open them using windows picture viewer. How can I change this without having to go to all the computers individually. Many thanks for your help. Regards, Afzal.
×
×
  • Create New...