MaXiM
Members-
Posts
82 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by MaXiM
-
Hi, up until a week ago I had been happily testing domain users logging into both XP and Windows 7 PCs with their separate roaming profiles. but since a few days ago, any domain users (except administrator) when they login they get a black screen with a mouse pointer and it takes over 15 minutes before their desktop appears. I looked in the eventviewer but nothing! no errors just the usual error about the login taking over 600 seconds. I don't know why all of a sudden this has started happening, nothing has changed... maybe a windows update I don't know.
-
Hi I have a mixed XP /Windows 7 environment on a 2003 domain. I have enabled active desktop wallpaper and pointed it to a picture in a share. For some reason if I use jpg files I just get an annoying black screen and the user has to refresh the screen for the image to appear. If I use a BMP then this problem goes away... But I would rather use JPEGS if at all possible. I set the res to 1400 x 900 and the image to stretch if anyone has a bigger screen. as i said with BMP's it works a treat.. just not with jpegs.. Anybody found a solution to this before?
-
Hello. I have added a few Windows 7 PC's to our Server 2003 domain and with a bit of loop back processing I'm able to get them working together with XP and roaming profiles quite well. Only thing I can't do is set the theme in group policy for the windows 7 PC's. I want to set the msstyle theme of the landscape slideshow which comes with the Windows 7 PC's. Is this not possible? I tried to use gpedit on the local machine and force it but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? Thanks
-
I thought I posted this but guess not: OK so I create a new Mandatory Profile on Windows 7 PC. I then make sure the new windows 7 profile is the same name as the xp one? so my old one was called user.man... i make sure the new one is called user.V2 ? I then copy the new profile I made into the same location that the XP one is located in? So now AD user FRED who has profile path: user.man can login to a Windows 7 PC?
-
Hi, I have raised this topic before and followed advice but still it doesn't work. I have a mandatory profile called user.man Users log into their XP comptuers on the domain with it. I have now added a few Windows 7 PC's into the mix. Users are unable to log in to those computers. I have copied the user.man folder and created a new folder called user.man.v2 and copied it into the profiles folder.. It doesn't work. I thought I just had to make a copy of the original user.man and rename the copy to user.man.v2 Any ideas?
-
Yes I realised it was set to a Domain admin and have changed it already. That was an error that was discovered when sorting out the Iphone Issue. And yes I'm concerned it was set to that.
-
I've tried that before typing staffuser.man but when I go to log into a windows 7 machine it complains. Must be missing something..
-
So let me get this right. I go into the User account in AD and just type in the profile path: staffuser and this will serve both my staffuser.man and staffuser.man.v2 ?
-
If a user in Active Directory has a profile path set to: staffuser.man .. and then I change it to staffuser.man.v2 won't that stop the user from logging into the XP machine?! That's why I thought maybe there was some kind of loopback that could be done.. but couldn't figure out how.
-
Yeah but in AD in the user profile bit you can only specify one profile.. ie staff.man so where would I be able to specify the v2 profile?
-
The other post about the iphone.. my bad
-
Hi, I have googled this but cannot find an answer. How can you set a computer room to force the users to use the v2 mandatory profile instead of the xp version? I thought of loopback but in GPO editor there is no option to specify what profile to use, that is done in their user account. Anybody else found a way around this?
-
The solution turned out to be that fact that I was a domain admin and there is an inherit permissions check box that needed to be unchecked. I just removed myself from the domain admin group and sync went ok.. once the sync had completed I then added myself back into the domain admins group.
-
Not yet but at work on Monday I'm going to tweak IIS permissions and see if that does the trick. Will let you know the outcome.
-
It's looking like a permissions issue in IIS
-
I feel a bit worried about using the tool as I'm a domain admin and don't feel comfortable putting my pw into that website. Account verifies but can't send and receive , must be something simple like a routing problem... Owa works fine ... Don't know what else to check.
-
Sync Pool is enabled and started. Still doesn't work. It verifies the account but can't recieve or send emails.
-
Active sync is enabled on my mailbox account yes. I will check IIS
-
Hi I have an Exchange 2010 Server that has outlook OWA enabled. I can connect to OWA from home and that works When I add my mail account to the exchange on the Iphone it verifies ok but I can't send any emails or recieve. I thought if OWA works then Exchange sync for iphone would work but it doesn't. Any reasons why it might not be working? Any other ports I need to forward?
-
I'm going to upgrade my domain from Windows 2003 r2 to 2008 r2 Will doing this have any adverse effect with the Exchange Server that is running on the current domain ? Just wondering if I need to worry about that or not.
-
sounds like the pushprinterconnections.exe is kicking in... especially as you say it takes 10 seconds
-
check your login scripts... make sure a script isn't waiting for some kind of input from the user... and thus hanging until the GPO timeout value kicks in... also.. check DNS.. that can be a culprit too. Once you get into the PC check the event viewer... I will be surprised if nothing with a red cross has appeared. disable caching on the profiles folder on the server enable roaming profiles and allow the profile to remain on the PC and don't clear them out every day.... This will speed up login times. I have fought with these issues for many years.
