Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

openhgs

Members
  • Posts

    149
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by openhgs

  1. There were 7 Three Stooges - Moe, Shemp, Larry, Curly, Joe, Curly-Joe and Emil, although Emil didn't appear in any films as a Stooge. He was regular actor in the series and films. The Loan Rangers mask is probably made of money The Lone Rangers mask was made from his dead brothers vest (waitcoat). Why do ballerinas dance on their toes? Wouldn't it be easier just to hire taller dancers?
  2. openhgs

    CUPS slowness :(

    Have you tried downloading ESP Ghostscript version 8.15.4 from the cups website? http://www.cups.org/espgs/index.php
  3. http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39286452,00.htm?r=1 What I find interesting is that Liverpool City Council only own 20% of their systems. I wonder how many other city councils don't own their systems.
  4. http://www.digitmag.co.uk/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=238&blogid=2&vm=i
  5. We use the much simpler policy : external(/usr/bin/autopykota --initbalance 10.0) We give each user 10 units per week, and charge then 1 unit per page for b/w and 3 units per page for colour
  6. We have : * 13 Linux servers * 120 thin clients * 15 Linux boxes * 2 M$ servers * 50ish XP desktops * 35 XP laptops * 3 dual boot laptops * 15 Apple MACs * 5 Mac ibooks So thats 258 to 1.5. A better question is "What boxes take the most of my time?" It's 6 of the XP desktops and about 15 of the XP laptops. I reckon we spend something like 6 working days of the year on each these 21 machines. This makes the TCO of these very high. We're in a no-win situation; if we lock them down so the users can't fiddle, they complain that they can't install any software, and when it goes wrong, ICT have to clean up th mess. One particular laptop seems to always be with us for reloading - ideally it should be consigned to the graveyard, but there is no money available for a replacement.
  7. You're right! It's working now but not when I tried this arvo or about six months ago when I was asked to research it. I wonder if it is hosted on a flakey server?
  8. 404 I'm afraid. So is the authors website http://www.mccasland-internet.com I haven't heard anything of the project since the initial release in 2005.
  9. openhgs

    Intresting

    The original article http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39286295,00.htm concerns HSBC. A further story the HSBC project is http://www.computerweekly.com/218593 This article says "Some 95% of the production grid (HSBC also runs test grids) runs on Windows, but 5% - a couple of hundred servers - run on Linux servers. These machines run a risk management application that runs only on Linux." With fewer machines in the equation, it would probably cost them more than running Linux than Windows. It appears HSBC have something like 4000+ servers; a goodly number of boxes for sysadmins
  10. I did our upgrade yesterday and it took 2 hours, most of which was upgrading eportal. We have a split installation and the eportal machine always takes forever. The directory e:\Facility\eportal\facility\ePortal\jdk\jre\lib\zi contains many hundreds of small files, which I assume are locales for the Tomcat webserver. If the eportal upgrade didn't load these (IMO) unnecessary files, I think the time taken for the upgrade would be halved. So far, it all seems OK, although there are reports that eportal doesn't allow the entry of pupil concerns. Has anyone heard of anything like this?
  11. openhgs

    Intresting

    I think unixman wanted the last link to be to the news story titled " Novell vows to fight Vista uptake" http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39285935,00.htm BTW, you guys who post at 2300hrs, you're not still at work are you?
  12. RTFM - http://www.censornet.com/faq/3/#Q3.6
  13. openhgs

    Pykota chat wanted

    Sorry, but I missed your original posting. I've found pykota very easy to install and if there are problems, Jerome Alert is always helpful. Our initial installation is documented here and information about upgrading to a later release can be found here. /start brag We have a mention on the PyKota homepage - http://www.pykota.com/wiki/Links/ /end brag While I employed at the school, our system documentation will be kept up to date and will be available for anyone to reference.
  14. In the Client-side section, you state "Not all the benefits of thin client computing will be gained from using old hardware". I think that this needs clarification, ie what benefits are you missing out on and under what circumstances. For example, in a LTSP setup, using something like a PIII 533 MHz, 256Mb PC as a thin client, the only benefit that you are missing out on is aesthetics. OT If you want a system for a small number of users, this is intersting Six headed, six user system
  15. Assuming that you have a tape drive connected to the box, use cron to run a script eg : #!/bin/bash mt -f /dev/st0 rewind find /home -print | cpio -ovBH crc -O /dev/st0 >/var/log/backuplog 2>&1 mt -f /dev/st0 rewoffl mt -f /dev/st0 eject If you don't like cpio, then use tar as suggested. If you want to backup to CD/DVD then something like #!/bin/bash IMG_SIZE=`mkisofs -R -q -print-size /home 2>&1 | sed -e "s/.* = //"` mkisofs -r /home | cdrecord speed=2 dev=1,1,0 tsize=${IMG_SIZE}s -data - oh yes, YMMV
  16. Your old PCs are perfect for an LTSP setup. You can extend the life of PCs until the hardware physically fails - that is an upgrade is not forced upon you by the company that writes the operating system that you use. I've used 10 year old PCs as thin clients and they work spendidly. You could buy a decent server and get a 50 seat lab for the hardware cost of the server; this makes the per seat cost very low.
  17. 50 - this is my 28th year working in IT - eek! I've been working for longer than some of the posters have been on the planet.
  18. When I accessed the site I was presented with some nudie rudie pics - they should be more careful as to who they have as sponsors.
  19. Openoffice exclusively on the curriculum network, M$ Office almost exclusively on the admin and staff machines. We also give a doctored copy of the Open CD to every new pupil, mailing to their home address to make sure the parents know about it. The letter indicates use of this software ensures pupils work will be 100% compatible with the software used at school; use Microsoft Office and it will probably be OK but there could be problems; use Microsoft Works and you won't be able to use your files in school.
  20. I've signed but... How effective are these e-petitions? It seems very easy to collect a huge number of signatures, and I'm guessing the pollies realise this. For example, 1306259 have signed the petition "Scrap the planned vehicle tracking and road pricing policy". I think the campaign would be a lot more effective if these 1.3 million people wrote letters to their MP about this issue. I bet that more than 95% of these wouldn't write to their MP about this; it's important to people if they can express an opinion easily, but if there is any difficulty involved. then the "I can't be arsed" mentality takes over.
  21. PC World are good at what they do, computer shops chokka with gear you can fiddle with. I will go in sometimes, see whats on offer and then buy it elsewhere at a cheaper price. I guess many of us "in the know" do this, but for the average Joe, PC World offer good service. People in general would rather buy goods from a bright and airy emporium, rather than a dingy backstreet shop, even though the staff in the small shop will almost certainly give you better service. The average Joe probably wouldn't consider buying something as mysterious as a computer via the internet. I know someone whose laptop needed a reload. She didn't know how to change the BIOS so it will boot from CD rather than HD, so she went to PC World who charged her £45 for the privilege. I wish she had come to me first; I'd have done it for £30 To be fair, they did load XP from the recovery disc, activated it and loaded all of the updates. I'm guessing an hours work, so £45 isn't to bad. When I worked in the real world, my company would charge me out at £120 per hour - shame I didn't see any where near that amount.
  22. openhgs

    Mac Vs Vista

    Yeah!!!! I had an Amiga 500+ (mustn't forget the +) it was only out for about 6 months before it was usurped by the Amiga 600. It came with captain planet, bart vs space mutants. Real quality games. Dont laugh i mean it. They were great! I love nostalgia! AmigaOS 4.0 has just been released. Like it says on the website "Remember when computing was fun?" - Dust off that old hardware and enjoy. Perhaps it's time to find a bargain on ebay :?: PS vi - I even use it on M$ boxes.
  23. lame http://lame.sourceforge.net works for me
  24. If you are referring to LTSP, we used to run Athlon 2.2 GHz 1 GB ram servers and these would support 15 thin clients each running OpenOffice and browsing the web. Response time and stability was acceptable. Of course, things are better if you have powerful servers, but our experience has shown that you can basically use any old junk and the LTSP works brilliantly. We ran 6 of these servers, to support our 3x30 seat labs - all obtained on the cheap. With new funding, we are now running 4 x Xeon 3Ghz, 4GB ram servers and it flies. Dual processor servers is the only possible upgrade left for us and hopefully this is on the cards.
  25. don't forget unrar http://www.winrar.de/edownload/tools.html
×
×
  • Create New...