Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jertsy

Members
  • Posts

    315
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jertsy

  1. Ok, so I have a brand new domain (2012r2) and w7 clients. I am pushing images out via MDT 2013, mainly office 2013 and some general software for curriculum. I have setup GPO's for folder redirection, and created a GPO with a few settings for client lock down that applies to everyone, and 3 GPO's for staff, pupils, and a privilege one (ex RM sorry), these block stuff like regedit, cmd. Again 3 GPO's for IE lock down. I have deployed printers via GPO, this seems quite nice and reliable. Out of the box the network seems quite locked down, I am getting some UAC prompts for standard users, stuff like java, and some IE etc.. but is that it, staff and pupils can run anything in c:\program files but nothing else. Is it that 2012R2 is locked down out the box or should I be doing anything else? I have tested installing software with both staff and pupil test accounts and its blocked, also browsing shares, network connections are blocked. Should I be doing anything else? Thanks in advance Jetsy
  2. No I have booted off a winPE disk and it then runs the task sequence from that, I did think that myself at first. I have successfully captured and deployed now. But to PXE, yes I think you do need WDS.
  3. Hi all After wasting the last 3 weeks trying to get WDS working, its broken on 2012R2 with update 1 according to MS via our support company. I have been playing with MDT, basically time is against me so can anyone see any problems occurring with the following process. 1. Install windows 7 2. Install Office 2013 3. Install windows updates from MS 3. Install any curriculum software 4. Capture with MDT 5. Deploy with MDT Our Gpo's set the PC's to look at our WSUS server for update's so the PC's should use that in future? I know MDT can do a lot more with task sequences and without fat images, but to get me away would this process work? I then plan to learn MDT better over the coming year and perhaps rebuild all PC's again next summer. Any advice gratefully received. Jertsy
  4. jertsy

    WDS Woes

    Hi all I'm trying to capture an image via WDS, I run sysprep shut PC down restart and hit F12, select capture an image and was getting a 0x000000f error see attached. I downloaded drivers from Lenovo and extracted them via driver max and uploaded to WDS and inserted into the WDS capture image. Now I don't get the error I get the windows bar appear as if its carrying on but them all I get is a black screen!? I have tried 3 PC's now, tried an 8.1 boot.wim as we are server 2012R2, tried downloading again in case of corruption etc... I'm at a loss now, I am a beginner with WDS so has anyone come across this before? Any help greatly appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out now! Cheers
  5. We have 2 dc's, 2012r2. no issues with replication as far as I can tell. We do have one domain though and it was a fresh install. if you want me to test anything give me a shout.
  6. Hi I just saw this thread and this is exactly what I have done, have you have any issues with things getting blocked due to users being prevented from accessing the C:\ drive? Thanks
  7. That's kind of what I was thinking, cheers for that MYK-IT.
  8. I will check out ITNinja.com, no doubt I will need that in the near future. Thanks.
  9. Nice advice, thanks.
  10. My support company have most experience with WDS, so if I go the MDT route I have no quick support as such, and with 3 and a half weeks left I'm kind of up against it. I could go WDS now, MDT next year and maybe SCCM the year after. I will look at some MDT guides tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to reply robjduk.
  11. Thanks for the detailed explanation, that really helps.
  12. Do you have images for each build in WDS i.e. Art, DT, ICT etc... I could imagine this approach could get quite large in terms of file size, Or a base image say with office and GPO deploying software? - - - Updated - - - Thank you
  13. Thanks for all of the replies guys. I think I'm going WDS for now, then next summer I can use MDT or even SCCM if I feel its necessary. For now I just want to get a Windows 7 image with office 2013, VLC, Flash etc... Thankfully we don't have too much curriculum software here. What has put me back time wise is our install\support company have had 'time' issues and now we are getting closer VMware has decided to start crashing putting me further back. The original plan was for me to be doing PC images a month ago. So the pressure is on so to speak! Does anyone have any good beginner guides for WDS? I have been watching some WDS guides on YouTube today.
  14. Thanks for the information.
  15. Thanks!
  16. Thanks for the advice, best to be safe I guess!
  17. Hi all If you had a couple of weeks to get your O/S deployments ready, just the images not all PC's built, and you had no prior knowledge of MDT or WDS, so you have to learn it from scratch. What would you use? MDT or WDS? I'm just weighing up what to go for with the time I have. Any advice gratefully received.
  18. Thanks Wabey
  19. Thanks, I will check them out.
  20. Where are you in the country Dave?
  21. Cheers, Mikeyw
  22. I'm in the Midlands
  23. Thanks Steven, just had a quick look at their site, looks promising, I will get in touch with them.
  24. As the title suggests, who do you use for network support. We have VMWare and server 2012R2 with exchange 2013. I might need to look around and would welcome any recommendations. Cheers
×
×
  • Create New...