Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

SLMHC

Members
  • Posts

    34
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by SLMHC

  1. I just remembered that I have a couple of LUNs presented to 2 Win2k3 boxes as storage drives. Any issues to watch for?
  2. Thankyou.
  3. I'm currently using NFS for VMs, with one test VM on iSCSI, but I'll back it up just in case. Just to so I'm clear, my upgrade path would be to ak-2009.04.10.5.1 first, then onto ak-2009.09.01.2.0?
  4. In my excitement to get my 7110 up and running I neglected to install the most up-to-date firmware image. Over the weekend I had an issue with the service processor causing the CPU fan to spin wildly. The tech had just seen the same issue with another customer and a reboot of the SP brought things back to normal. At the end of the call he suggested upgrading as I was quite far behind. So my question is, can I just toss up the latest and greatest or do I need to do this incrementally. I'm on 2009.Q2.1.0 ak-2009.04.10.1.0. My side question should I be shutting down VMs during the update?
  5. When creating my 1st NFS share I just used the default project instead of making my own. Since I've been having some issue with the performance of my 7110 I posted on Sun's Storage forum asking what the issue could be. One user got back to me saying the "database record size" should be set to 8k as I have an Exchange box running off the share (ie lots of small reads/writes). The default project is at 128k. I had some followup questions for him but I've yet to get a reply. I was wondering if any of the 7000 series owners here had done any benchmarking on what settings are ideal for running VM's (paticularly Exchange) of the box? Would a separate filesystem (or LUN) be ideal for Exchange (or SQL for that matter)?
  6. Hehe, thanks!
  7. My setup: - 2 IBM HS22 Blades running 5.5 - H Chassis has 4 Nortel switches installed, 2 in each subnet (corp & storage) - 1 7110 running RAID 6 using all disks using NFS (as per some threads I read here about the performance being better ). - Each host has 4 VMs currently. A DC, Fog server (Fog storage is on another box), AV, Terminal Server (just starting to get it rolling so low utilization), Desktop Authority, Spiceworks & my recently installed Exchange 2007 (single server setup). - I also use the boxes to install test VMs and tear them down as needed. Issues so far: NIC 3 doesn't seem to be utilized on the 7110 at all. Running ntbackup on the Ex2k7 box seems to swamp out the disks (high OPS). Phone Home isn't working. I can't get AD sync working either. Thoughts so far: I really like both technologies so far. Both have had issues, but, I've gotten through them so far and really what tech doesn't have issues outside of a lab! I was all set on using a StorageFlex box (uses Windows Storage Server) and ESXi as my virtualization base, but am sure glad I was able to extend the project and test a few more options. I looked at Virtual Iron and Citrix Xen and was leaning towards VI before they were purchased and EOF'd. The switch from StorageFlex to Sun was a move I was glad to make. As a Windows shop I thought that using Windows Storage Server would mean easy and clear sailing, but it was anything but. The 7100 series is really nice to work with. Glad to be apart of the community!
  8. I have read a few of the threads yourself and _Ric have been apart of. Good stuff in there. I do have some questions and second opinions to ask about, but will post them in the correct areas after I go through more of the search results. I've only been using both technologies few a couple of months and still have much to learn.
  9. I found the forums while looking for info on XenServer and Sun Storage Server 7110 info. Multiple searches kept leading me back here so I thought I'd join up as you seem to have a knowledgeable community going on here. Dave
×
×
  • Create New...