twin--turbo Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 Over the break I noticed an instance of our Meru controller loosing 5 AP's , it actually happened twice. I tracked them all back to one edge switch on the far side of the building, there was no sign of the switch having rebooted as it had been up for well over a year. looked fine Checking in Kiwi I was seeing no errors from the switch but it's neighbour (the distro switch for that stack) was getting both an occasional CDP mismatch and transmission errors on it's 10Gb fibre back to the core. The port was showing lots of input errors. We swapped onto a spare fibre on the infrastructure and the fault remained. We waited for a spare patch lead ( loads of SC-LC SC-ST LC-LC on site but no SC-SC ) to come over from the other site... Popped to the pub for a Curry Lunch. Came back. Put in Patch lead and all has been good. I don't recall ever having a fibre patch lead fail without some physical intervention, I was expecting it to be one of the EXPENSIVE 10Gb transceivers and to be in a battle for warranty repair but seems the simple solution was the good one. Rob
CyberNerd Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 Dust maybe, it wiggles in everwhere The ingress of water between the compressed connections is also a likely cause - it can drag in dirt with it in a capillary action. Take a look at a connector under the microscope at a connector that hasn't been cleaned for a couple of years.
twin--turbo Posted January 3, 2013 Author Posted January 3, 2013 The ingress of water between the compressed connections is also a likely cause - it can drag in dirt with it in a capillary action. Take a look at a connector under the microscope at a connector that hasn't been cleaned for a couple of years. Fairly clean room really, little moisture. Compared to some of the other the locations I have had optics it could be considered pristine... Fortunately RSTP was able to cope with us pulling stuff in and out , unfortunately it always considered the faulty cable to be the best distance. I would have just left it unplugged if it was not resolved. Rob
glennda Posted January 3, 2013 Posted January 3, 2013 Ive seen it happen when cables do just randomly start giving errors due to damage although never quite worked out how it happens.
twin--turbo Posted January 3, 2013 Author Posted January 3, 2013 Well I am not going to loose sleep on it.. Just hope it's still err free in the morning.. Rob
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now