Get2theChoppa Posted December 16, 2012 Posted December 16, 2012 Im in the process of setting up my first server 2008... I have a question... Do I install the MS office on the server and then run the shortcut via folder redirection from the server? or Do I install the MS office locally on each pc? and have the shortcut from the folder redirection pointing to the MS office installed on the c drive? If someone can shed some light on this?....ermmm... if you are awake at 1.00am? Many Thanks
Steve21 Posted December 16, 2012 Posted December 16, 2012 Im in the process of setting up my first server 2008... I have a question... Do I install the MS office on the server and then run the shortcut via folder redirection from the server? or Do I install the MS office locally on each pc? and have the shortcut from the folder redirection pointing to the MS office installed on the c drive? If someone can shed some light on this?....ermmm... if you are awake at 1.00am? Many Thanks Local copy. Less resource insenstive, no problems with multiple users having stuff open at once, easier to repair if something goes wrong, and licensing issues Steve 1
FN-GM Posted December 16, 2012 Posted December 16, 2012 You install it on the clients and then drop the shortcuts in the redirected folder/ 1
Get2theChoppa Posted December 16, 2012 Author Posted December 16, 2012 what are the pros/ cons from running it from server? and also what are the licensing implications?
FN-GM Posted December 16, 2012 Posted December 16, 2012 what are the pros/ cons from running it from server? and also what are the licensing implications? Running it from the server has no pros. If its installed or not it will have no benefit to the users. It is good practice to have the bare minimum installed on servers.
Steve21 Posted December 16, 2012 Posted December 16, 2012 what are the pros/ cons from running it from server? and also what are the licensing implications? As mentioned above, pretty much no benefits (apart from not needing to deploy it). In reality a lot of "cons". Example: Depending how you set office up with things like templates etc, I change the default template to Pink with yellow spots, oh look 10,000 users have spotty backgrounds (Yes this depends if you redirect templates locally, blah blah, but just an easy example). How do users install things like addons they want? (For example our SIMs manager uses one for data import/export to another statistics site) When I was referring to licenses it's the age old, I want 10 office, I buy 10 licenses. I put office on server, I now have "insert computer numbers" potential users I need to license, unless you're restricting who is using it etc, which then kind of defeats point to installing on server, or you run the risk of having unlicensed users etc etc. Steve
Get2theChoppa Posted December 19, 2012 Author Posted December 19, 2012 As mentioned above, pretty much no benefits (apart from not needing to deploy it). In reality a lot of "cons". Example: Depending how you set office up with things like templates etc, I change the default template to Pink with yellow spots, oh look 10,000 users have spotty backgrounds (Yes this depends if you redirect templates locally, blah blah, but just an easy example). How do users install things like addons they want? (For example our SIMs manager uses one for data import/export to another statistics site) When I was referring to licenses it's the age old, I want 10 office, I buy 10 licenses. I put office on server, I now have "insert computer numbers" potential users I need to license, unless you're restricting who is using it etc, which then kind of defeats point to installing on server, or you run the risk of having unlicensed users etc etc. Steve Steve!....Many thanks for the advice!... How are you getting your adsense to display on the post?
FN-GM Posted December 19, 2012 Posted December 19, 2012 Steve!....Many thanks for the advice!... How are you getting your adsense to display on the post? Its the website doing that not steve
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now