Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have 28 laptops provided FOC through a sponsorship arrangement between Lenovo and M$... All have been running flawlessly for the last 12 months.

 

Today I've been told to make sure that all 28 devices are upgraded to Windows 8 by the Morning of 26th October as the class will be taking part in the "Global" Release Party from 14:30 - 17:00 BST

 

I'm assuming BST means "British Summer Time" and not something derogatory....

 

I was hoping to get at least 6 months breathing space before committing to this.

Has anyone jumped in yet? Any MS sponsored academies been told to do the same?

We have a RTM few installs we have been running as a test but not really done anything with them yet.

 

Feel a bit like Felix Baumgartner,

Posted
MDT 2012 Update 1 does however.

 

I tried it yesterday, it deployed with no problems. .NET Framework 3.5 isn't installed by default, it has to be specified on the Role selection. Also, you have to install an update (KB2734608) on your WSUS server to get it updating properly.

Posted
I have 28 laptops provided FOC through a sponsorship arrangement between Lenovo and M$... All have been running flawlessly for the last 12 months.

 

Today I've been told to make sure that all 28 devices are upgraded to Windows 8 by the Morning of 26th October as the class will be taking part in the "Global" Release Party from 14:30 - 17:00 BST

 

I'm assuming BST means "British Summer Time" and not something derogatory....

 

I was hoping to get at least 6 months breathing space before committing to this.

Has anyone jumped in yet? Any MS sponsored academies been told to do the same?

We have a RTM few installs we have been running as a test but not really done anything with them yet.

 

Feel a bit like Felix Baumgartner,

 

We have been running some laptops/tablets for over a month here now with it and it goes reasonably well. There is even a little into video that plays on their first logon explaining where to click with the new interface. Our early adopters love it as it is quicker and for junior classes at least more gen-whatever-they-are-up-to-now attentionspan of a sparrow freindly. Even the Apple iPad/iPhone/iWhatever users love them as the feel more at home with duplo sized blocks instead of more grown up lego's complexity.

 

I'd say get your policies and scripts right to configure the metro UI right along with making sure your scripting is up to it (GPP still fails horribly on it thus far - no printer, drive map, shortcuts etc). Ironicly the best solution for the moment is the oldschool VBS that we have been using since 2000/XP as that is fully supported and working. As long as you take care of these things and use the built in AV you'll be fine.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
@SYNACK - Are you running Server 2012? - I'm just wondering if the GPP support will be better?

 

No, not yet and possibly. You can do a lot with the RSAT on a client machine though. Need some more RAM in my VM servers so that I can spin one up as for the moment it's all tied up with the existing 2008 R2 VMs. That and I've been occupied with network core stuff for the past little bit :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...